Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Does the greyhound suffer from any limited gene pool disorders?

I have been wondering if the Greyhound experiences any health impairments resulting from the limited gene pool breeding (inbreeding)? It often happens to other pedigree breeds i.e. the German shepherd (undue angling of the rear legs causing dysplasia) or the Persian (a flat face resulting in breathing problems and running eyes). From my observation I believe that animals bred not for their exterior are much less prone to such conditions. That is why ex-raced dogs do not exhibit this type of health genetic disorders. Am I right or wrong?

Re: Does the greyhound suffer from any limited gene pool disorders?

Hi Stan, I've always understood that there are various restrictions on which greyhounds which are registereed for racing can breed with each other, specifically to prevent the concentration of 'bad' genes within a line. They all seem pretty closely related though to certain stud dogs, but there can only be a certain number of genetic links in the pedigree. Theres info and a table or ready reckoner sort of thing to work out breeding lines on the greyhound database.But one in five greyhounds dies of bone cancer and there is a genetic link for that. Some racing owners claim that the bone cancer link comes from a particular dog which was totally messed up with illegal substances to fix races and then wqas used to sire a line.

Re: Does the greyhound suffer from any limited gene pool disorders?

Fiona,
I think there are always some breeders who find ways to break the rules set up to ensure healthy breeding. The line causing bone cancer should have been eradicated from breeding at the very start.
I think that inbreeding is more typical of the breeding kennels and catteries that tend to achieve the ideal standard of exterior, mainly competing for show titles and prizes. The results of inbreeding are sometimes deplorable, producing lots of puppies and kittens with physical defects and distortions.
Personally I am against any inbreeding as it always poses a huge risk of producing unhealthy offspring. However some people can do lots of atrocious things to preserve the desired characteristics of a particular breed.
I know that some of the breeders who practise inbreeding in their breeding work will condemn me but I am only expressing my personal opinion.