Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bluebell

Hi there,
We have our lovely wee Bluebell girl who we brought to her forever home a few years ago from Celia & Jimmy. She's a complete nutter but a wee gem & we love her to bits. Recently we've noticed that she's licking at her rear end constantly & a few times now, we've noticed that her whole back end (right up to almost halfway up her back) is completely soaking wet. It then drys off & she's ok until it happens again. I took her to the vet today & they're treating her for a possible urine infection but the vet is really confused as to what the soaking wet thing is? It's happened about 4 or 5 times now when she's just lying down in the house & it literally looks like you've poured a bucket of water over the back end of her. We've to finish the antibiotics & keep in contact with our vet to see if it happens again. If so, they'll take her in to investigate. Has anyone heard of anything like this?
p.s..big hi to celia & jimmy and also marion who now has Bryn, glad to read that he's doing so well with you!..x

Re: Bluebell

Hi Fiona and Stuart,
Could be a urine infection causing her to leak. If she moved about in it it would soak her back.
Do you notice a wet area on the floor when it happens ?
We'll check and see if we can find anything else.
Please keep us posted.
Celia and Jimmy.

Hi,
Please have a look at the following websites:
http://www.dog-health-handbook.com/canine-urinary-incontinence.html

http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-stop-uncontrolled-dog-peeing

http://www.dog-behavior-training.co.uk/dog_true_urinary_incontinence.html

I recommend you to have a closer look at the third website ( I assume that your dog is neutered and it might result from some hormonal issues).

Very best wishes,
Stan

Hi Fiona and Stuart,
Bryn sends his love and assures you he is a good and happy boy - did you see his article in the August 2010 newsletter?
How is your 'new' baby? - guessing he/she must be toddling now!
So sorry to hear about Bluebell. This is a bit of a long shot, but I don't suppose she could have a flea allergy? Greyhounds aren't prone to fleas in a home environment but mine had a few recently and my eldest grehound Kim had a similar (but lesser) reaction, whereby he licked his hind end wet and actually nibbled himself raw in places. It cleared up quickly once we used shampoo and 'spot-on' treatment, but his reaction was much more severe than the others. I had a lurcher years ago with a diagnosed flea allergy so I was aware of the symptoms. I'm sure your vet would have thought of this but it was just worth a mention.
Our best wishes for a speedy recovery,
Marion, Mike, Bryn, Kim, Dylan, Foxy & Charlie

Hi,
Thanks for your replies, the vet suggested a urine leak however she doesnt smell of urine when it happens but she said it wouldnt smell if its quite diluted, also with the flea reaction, Stuart originaly thought she might have been bitten & taken some kind of reaction to it so I guess that could be a possibility as well, she lies on the couch so we never notice any wet patch on the floor! It's really easy to see on the couch as its a tan leather one so it goes dark brown when it happens. Each time its happened, she's been licking at her back end & then when she gets up off the couch, she's drenched halfway up her back & so is the couch, no other symptoms though.
We'll see how the antibiotics go & I'll let you know. I didn't see Bryn in the newsletter so I'm off now to have a wee read!..x

Hi,

The only thing I can suggest is have they looked at her scent glands and made sure they are not impacted or infected? Quincy was constantly licking at his back end and nibbling and the vet said it was his scent glands needing emptied. As soon as he did this it resolved.

Karen