Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flexi dog lead

We have just ordered a flexi retractable (heavy duty extra strong) lead for Megan. We dont let her off the lead where we live although she loves her walks anyway, but I feel she would benefit from a little more scope. I would like to give her a bit more freedom to move about when we're out walking when its safe to do so obviously. I certainly wouldnt give her full extent of the lead. I wondered if anyone has a retractable extension lead for their greyhound as I havent actually noticed if anyone had one while at the greyhound walks! If anyone has, can you tell me if you recommend them. I just feel giving Megan a few more feet to wander would be really beneficial. I can return this lead if I decide not to keep it so no problem there.

Re: Flexi dog lead

I was told that they can't be used on greyhounds as they would not be safe.
They are too fast - either pull your arm out of socket or get hurt themselves
link added they can break their necks

mags

http://www.greyhoundlifeline.co.uk/main/greyhound_collars.html

We certainly wouldn't recommend it. It gives the dog time to get speed up if it sees a prey. The lead might not hold the jerk or the dog could injure its neck.
Celia and Jimmy.

Many thanks Mags, Celia & Jimmy
Thats good enough for me! I will return it. She's happy on her ordinary lead so that's where she'll stay. Thanks again

If its any help, I get 60inch nylon web leads from Northwind in America, they do excellent service and their martingales and leads are strong and reliable. I've used them for years for my greys as I couldnt find leads in uk that were both long and strong, and would not use extending leads due to reasons in above posts, also extendables encourage the dogs to pull.

Hi Fiona

Many thanks for the info. We have tried in vain here too to get a longer lead for Megan. They just dont seem to make them. We will definitely look into that. Many thanks again. Christine

Just as another side to this discussion I got Bambi a lead that was a bit longer than her usual one thinking it would be nice for her to have a wee wander further away from me so I didn't get yanked about the place to sniff whatever caught her interest - however, despite my encouragement when I had it on her she would not move from my side at all!!! She's a funny old girl my Bambi!!lol x

Hi Joan

I know what you mean! Megan is inclined to saunter along beside me too but I always assumed that was because she didnt really have a choice. I have osteoarthritis so I'm not able to climb up and down embankments and the like, so I thought a little extra length of her lead would give her a bit more room for wandering a little for new smells etc! You're probably right enough though, she may well prefer just sauntering along beside Mum! Many thanks for that though - that hadnt actually crossed my mind. Christine

DONT RECOMMENT A FLEXI LEAD THEY CAN
BE DANGEROUS IF YOUR GREYHOUND SEES
A CAT HE COULD PULL YOUR ARM OUT OF
SOCKET

WHY DONT YOU GET A LONG LINE FROM THE
PET SHOP CAN GET DIFFERENT LENGHS

JANICE

Long lines are much safer but it can be hard to track down ones for dogs. If you have no luck go to a saddler's and get a horse lunge line, they are just the same except they are usually a bit thicker so easier to hold. You'll need some practise with it to get used to coiling it up in your hands and letting it out so you don't get you and your dog wrapped up in it!

Just to let you know that at Pets at Home we sell a 10metre training line for those dog's not trusted off the lead and to help in the aid of re-call. I have used this for my last greyhound and it did the job. It will do no harm to take a look