Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arthritis

After reading the newsletter felt I had to mention what my daughter gives her dogs. She has 2 young Rottweilers and the male dog has a problem with his hips. This caused him to fall when running and occasionally limp. She started giving him, and in fact them both, omega3 oil. He has greatly improved, no longer limps and, although he can't keep up with the female when she runs, no longer falls over. Perhaps some of this could be put down to him getting older and his bones maturing, but it seems to have made a difference. He is eighteen months and the female is thirty months. I was wondering if this could be given to greyhounds as well?

Re: Arthritis

It is very advisable and helpful to give jelly cooked from chicken claws to any creatures, both human and four-legged, suffering from joint problems. It helps to smear the joints (hips) preventing any painful friction. It is very cheap to buy them in Poland, I suppose same is here.
You need to cooked the claws for 2-3 hours (to give some taste it is good to add some carrot) and then remove all the bones (to sieve it) and put the soup to the fridge to make it solid. Then you add 2-3 spoonfuls of it to the kibble everyday. So you do not need to cook it everyday. Keep it in the fridge

PS. A very similar thing we can get from pig feet if someone (a dog) is allergic to chicken.

Hi, Eileen, I've been giving my greyhounds omega 3 oils in various forms for many years, it definitely helps joint problems, especially fish oils ( rather than cod liver. I also give them sardines each night. It has helped my older hounds and also gives them a beautiful shiny coat. Another useful supplement which I give to the arthritic oldies is chondroitin sulphate, which is recommended also for humans. Its expensive but does help my oldie with over-extending front paws which are developing arthritis.

Hi Fiona,

Can you tell I am new to posting a message. Just realised I should have hit the reply button and not done a new posting lol.

I am going to try this with my big girl as she has stiffness in her back leg. Can you please advise me where I get this Omega 3 oil? Is it in bottle or tablet form and how much per day? Hope this does the trick.

It is good to read more about Collagen type 2 which plays a huge role in curing joints' deterioration.
It is worthy of mentioning that Collagen type 1 is essential for treating spine issues.
For more info just google it.