Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dental trouble

Ash had her dental check yesterday. She needed 7 teeth out. Poor wee soul, she just doesn't know what's happened to her mouth. The big trouble is that her mouth just keeps bleeding. We had her back to the vets this morning. We've been advised to give it more time.

There is blood all over Ash's face, front and paws. I keep trying to clean her but just when I think it's settling, it starts again, with full clots and thick blood emerging from her mouth on a fairly regular basis. Is this normal? My previous dog didn't experience this. I don't know whether I should be pressing the vet to do more.

Re: Dental trouble

Hi Agnes, Mikey had 6 teeth out a couple of weeks ago and Annie 4 then 10 last year. Neither had the problems Ash seems to be experiencing, if she is poorly then you are right to be concerned. You don't want to appear as some sort of neurotic worrier but I wouldn't let it go on too long, if she's still like that at the end of the weekend hastle the vet again.
Isobel

Hi Agnes,

I have no first hand experience of tooth removal, but if you have Ash insured then you may well have access to a 24hour a day vetinary advice line (we do through our Tesco pet insurance), so for peace of mind give them a call for a second opinion.

Hi,
You can try to get information from vet on line. It will take a few minutes to get an answer. It is always good to try anyway.

link:
http://www.justanswer.com/

click then on vets

Hi Agnes,
Is the vet certain that Ash does not have a blood clotting disorder? Even a minor disorder causes what appears to be excessive bleeding.
Jimmy.

Thanks everyone for the advice. The blood is only coming from the wounds at the front of Ash's mouth, because she will not leave them alone. She keeps licking them, pushing out all the clots and causing all the heavy bleeding to start again. The other wounds have dried up nicely. We've been trying to distract her and tire her out so she will sleep. It's all not working very well. We will have to call the vet tomorrow if this doesn't get any better overnight. My washing machine has never had to perform so many boil washes!!