Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cut paw

Just a quick post to see if anyone has any suggestions. Poor wee Gracie (formerly Cleo) cut her back paw when we were out for a walk this morning. She's not bothered at all - no limping or sign of pain. ...... just lots of blood! Ive put a pad on and bandaged it and strapped it with tape but it's still seeping blood. Just wondered if anybody had any magic fixes ? She's definitely not impressed by my first aid attempt!

Lisa

Re: Cut paw

Direct pressure is the usual thing to control bleeding. Is the wound/cut clean? If it isn't I would bathe it in salt water. In the past when I've cut nails and nicked the quick I found surgical spirit or hydrogen peroxide helped to stop the bleeding. If you have taken out pet insurance some of the policies include access to a 24 hour vet advice line - worth checking perhaps?

Thanks Steve. It's a slice on one of the front pads. There's a flap of skin which is why it's difficult to get it to stop. Vet wouldn't be able to stitch it but I'd hoped my bandage attempt would put enough pressure on it to stop the bleeding.

Just found this advice on treating cut pads - maybe hydrogen peroxide isn't such a good idea after all. A quick google search has also brought up suggestions of using superglue. I seem to remember reading that superglue was initially developed to seal wounds, and it certainly does a pretty good job of sticking my fingers together whenever I try using it to repair anything!

super glue is used in hospitals
my little boy had his head wound glued together

mags

Hi Lisa,
Vet's can stitch pads but it depends on where and what it is, we suppose.
A word with the vet could help but it would be expensive.
Good luck.
Celia and Jimmy.

Bleeding has stopped so we've been able to clean it up a bit better and have a look. Doesn't look stitchable as its in a bit of an awkward place right underneath the claw. I think we'll keep the bandage on for a few more days to see if that'll help it knit. Poor wee Gracie has been managing to hobble about, and has only milked it slightly with a few attempts to get on the bed in the morning!
Might think about the superglue to keep the pad down in a day or so...although I have to say I do have an image of me plus attached greyhound in A&E!!!
Thanks for all the advice!

On a happier note, both Grace & Archie (formerly Cleo & Flash) are like different dogs these days. Very happy, very cheeky and full of nonsense. Hopefully we'll get up to Baltree this summer for a visit and a run. Grace & Archie would love to see you Jimmy & Celia!

the "superglue" that is used in veterinary & human establishments is TISSUE GLUE designed specifically for use on living flesh.. not normal superglue !

Hope the pad heals, they can be a pain & keep opening up, think I might have gone to the vet, to get a covering of antibiotics if nothing else if it was me & i'm a non practicing vet nurse.