Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Darkening skin

Hi all

We've noticed that our big lad Lama's skin has darkened over the last couple of months, especially on his stomach and baldy bum patches (where the lack of hair makes it quite noticeable). Has anyone else experienced this? We've checked a couple of forums online, and some reckon it's a seasonal thing.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the show on Sunday!

Cheers
Steven & Elaine

Re: Darkening skin

My lurcher Lady is exactly the same. I got quite a fright when I first saw it a few weeks ago, but a bit of internet searching reassured me that there's nothing wrong.

Yep, Mikey's gone the same, his thighs are practically black - I'm hoping it's a seasonal thing.
Isobel

Hi,

This happened with our lurcher Abbi and it turned out to be an allergy to a certain brand of dog food. Once we changed her diet to a different type of food her skin turned back to the normal pink colour.
Hope this helps.

Was it a food Abbi was used to, or a food that was new to her?
I did wonder if it was anything to do with the sun, or maybe it was just coincidence that Lady was sunning herself in the garden when I noticed it!

Happened to our Jack dog last summer and also again this year. He is a bit of a sun worshipper so we assumed it was him getting a tan!!

We don't let him sunbathe by the way, he keeps sneaking into the garden to catch the rays when we are not looking! It's a constant battle to stop him grabbing a beer and heading into the garden for a bit of sunbathing (think Ray Winston in the film Sexy Beast and you have our Jack!!)

Hi all

Thanks for the replies, we'll ask the vet that'll be at the dog show on Sunday, see what he reckons. From your replies and the other stuff we've read online, looks like there's nothing to worry about.

Cheers
Steven, Elaine Lama & Lucy

Hi Kathleen it was a food that was new to her (recommended by a friend). Nothing at all to do with the sun as this was during winter time. As soon as we changed her food back to her original food her skin darkening cleared up within a couple of weeks.

Thanks Gwen. Lady has been on the same food for months so I think in her case it's more likely to be seasonal. We shall see!