Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Fostering part 4: Thelma (Minnie) & Louise reunited

The videos r fantastic well done u guys!! Also the videos may also be useful in general rehoming not just specifically for her as they give folk a general idea of some of the initial stages of a grey moving into a home - maybe that would encourage people who are not sure what it may entail, and also maybe put off anyone who is unrealistic about what taking a dog into your home entails??! x ps all of the dogs are just adorable!! x

Hi guys

Just a wee update on Lou Lou.

In short she is doing fabulous, absolutely brilliant

Toilet accidents in the house have been very very limited (could count on 1 hand!) and she has even now started peeing on her walks!! She still only poops in the garden but that will come.

Today (wonder of wonders) she didn't wake up until 7am!! Until now she had been waking up between 5.30 and 6.00 (it was stretching later everyday) but credit to the little girl she was waking us up to tell us she needed the toilet. The routine was - start whining between 5.30 - 6.00 - I get up to let her out, she goes out and does the toilet - she comes back in, goes back to bed and sleeps until we get up at around 7.30. Today, however, she slept until 7am!! Brilliant!

The similarities between her and her sis Minnie are very noticeable. None more so than the fact they both just want to have fun! The other day I found them having a tug of war with one of my trainers!! Girls and their bloody shoes!! There is one main difference between her and her sis and that is on a walk. Minnie basically HAS to be at the front of the pack. She is very strong at the start of the walk although she is much much more settled than when we first got her. Louise on the other hand is great on a walk. Sometimes we even forget she is there. If you take Minnie in one hand and Forth and Louise in the other you have to keep checking Forth and Lou are still there at times! They are both excellent walkers and very easy on a lead. To be honest I even think Minnie has been better behaved since Loiuse has been here and it's not because Lou has come in and taken charge, it's very much the opposite for Lou, she understands there is an established pack and she has not once tried to disrupt it.

At food times Louise is also excellent. When we feed our 3 we always feed in the same routine - Forth bowl down first, then Minnie, then Jack and our 3 are fully aware of the routine. When Lou first came to us she would just dive into any bowl that went down and we would have to pull her away to stop her eating someone else’s food. Now she simply waits until her bowl is down, no pushing in to steal the others food. Routine is now - Forth - Minnie - Jack - Louise - and Lou is fully aware and happy with that. No jumping, no charging about, simply waiting until her food is put down in front of her.

We have some more video footage of the little one and we will hopefully be posting that soon; stay tuned

I have never personally met Louise. Anyway I think that her being in a home environment proves that it is what she really needs to be regarded not as a fearsome dog but a lovely and fully deserving a new forever home.
However I should add that she seems not to let other dogs lead herself by the nose. She can fully adjust to new circumstances with respect for others provided she meets no intruder in her way.

Hi everyone

Very sorry for not posting recently, just been very busy.

Anyway you will be pleased to hear Louise has been just fine.

Toileting is excellent and whoever decides to take her into their home should (once they have explained to her the house rules) have no problem house training her for her new surroundings.

She is no more or less aggressive than our other dogs. She has given Forth a little nip but considering it was because he tried to MOUNT her (TWICE!) I cannot blame her in the slightest! Forth isn't in the least bit concerned, however, and his motto seems to be 'if you don't try you don't get'! That motto applies to a number of situations for the big man!

She sleeps soundly with our other 3 overnight and joins in all the walks without any bother.

We do have more video footage and we will try and get this put together as soon as possible.

Cheers

Thanks guys for the most fantastic fostering record ever.
Celia and Jimmy.

Hi everyone

At last!! We have the final part of Louise's foster diary uploaded!

Please watch and enjoy (it's slightly different this time )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMr3G6cD4U

(think you will need to cut and paste the link above)

Thanks and enjoy

Ben, Lyndz, Forth, Jack and Min

Hi guys,

You've done a grand job with the wee girl, she looks really happy and contented! Must be difficult for you to take her back but at least her true nature has been revealed and hopefully it won't be long now before she finds a good home.

...........and was that a Louise grin I spotted during the video.........lol!

Thanks guys. She was a joy to have in our home and settled in almost instantly. Her and Minnie just wandered about together most of the time (Sisters doing it for themselves!) Think Lou has been the hardest one to give back simply because we had known her the longest and there had been a couple of occasions we almost adopted her (once when we got Jack and the other when we got Minnie).

She used to give Lyndsey a big smile every time she came home from work, always happy to see her

Here is the link of the new video again for everyone -

http://youtu.be/RmMr3G6cD4U

Please share with everyone so we can get the little one her forever home

When I saw the latest video I thought she might have penetrated your resolve, there were so many bonding signals going on. As you say, the longer they stay, the harder it is to let go. Is Minnie missing her?
Of course, you can't keep collecting your own greyhounds and do a great fostering job as well (as I have discovered), and I'm sure Lou will not spend long back in kennels, thanks to you and the magic match-makers that are Celia and Jimmy.
I've so enjoyed this thread, thank you.

Hi Marion

We've always had a soft spot for Lou and it was certainly hard to give her back but as you rightly say we can't keep adding to our pack if we want to keep fostering

Not sure if Minnie is missing her as she does like being the only female Grey in the house although she did give us a Louise smile yesterday!! This is the first time she has ever done this and we can only assume her sister taught her how to do that whilst she was here

She will make a fabulous pet for someone and she just loves being around people and having a bit of freedom.

1 2