Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bald spot

Hi I just wondered if anybody knows what causes bald spots on greys. We adopted Oxo last year and he had a bald spot on his neck when we got him. This is still bald and the hair has never grown back. Just wondered if anyone out there knows what could have caused this. Just curious? Thanks.

Gwen

Re: Bald spot

Maisie had baldy thighs when I first adopted her. Put it down to her sitting/lying on hard surfaces. Over time her fur grew back in.
If anyone can tell you the cause Oxo's baldy spot it'll be Celia & Jimmy

Quincy has quite bald elbows and they can get quite red at times, and when he is casting bad his thighs can get quite sparse. Like Shona said we were told this is something greyhounds can be prone too especially from years of lying on hard surfaces. Their skin is also so thin and delicate this may play a part. After trying several things we found great improvement with a product called velcote and it has done wonders for his skin and coat.

Karen

Thanks for both your comments. The bald spot is not like the ones caused with shearing forces. It's on his neck where the hair is really thick. It looks similar to a bald spot my lurcher has when she had a drain inserted by the vet, although Abbi's is on her chest. I was just curious as to what might have caused this. I have sent Celia & Jimmy an e-mail to see if they can shed any light on this.

possibly a puppy scar from when he was playing around with the litter,

bald thighs are often because of the bedding used (paper) if maisie was originally merlin her bedding was a type of shredded cloth which kept her off the hard surface of her kennel but sometimes i wonder if the stuff the bedding is treated with to make it absorbant doesn't contribute to the balding. If the balding is bad then sea kelp tablets can be very good to start bringing the hair back

my retireds sometime go a bit bald if they lie about the carpets because of the nylon fibres i just throw a quilt down if they want to lie off their beds