Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SAD news from Strathaven !

It was a sad day on Thursday, when our old girl LUCY ( Fawn- racing name Furious Dee ) ) had to be put to sleep , just 2 days after her 12th birthday party.

It all happened so quick we are all still in shock including Duke our black boy and little Sally ( re Grace )our Brindle & White wee girl.

We noticed Lucy was a little lame on Wed, but she managed to eat her dinner. Went to bed Wed night,on Thurs morning she couldnt get out of bed on her own.

Took her straight to the vets on Thursday first thing. They gave her 2 x injections, and tablets pain killers and anti inflmatries for us to give to her later . They asked we book another appointment for 24 hours, as they were concerned.

Got her back home after carrying her in and out of the vets. At home she just lay in bed , and despite all our efforts and years of doggy experience,we could not get her to eat or drink anything. She seemed to have lost all interest, and we were really worried. So straight back to the vets Thursday 4pm.

Sadly the decision had to be made, and she went quietly to sleep in our arms about 4.30.

I know a lot of you will have gone through this experience , and I know that Celia and Jimmy have in recent months We have as well many times, but this was our first Greyhound and we had her for 8 brilliant years.

We are clinging on to the thought, that she had a healthy and loving life, enjoyed going to the GRF - SHOW, and did not suffer in the end

But Oh Boy !

What a Gap she has left !

Thank you for reading this post, it helps that we can share our grief with people like yourselves, who live their lives and love, these wonderfull dogs.

John & Janice Mackay

Re: SAD news from Strathaven !

So sorry to hear about Lucy. I had to have my rescued collie X, Cindy, put to sleep two years ago. She had been sick for over six weeks, so it really wasn't a surprise when we reached the end of the road in terms of her treatment.

It was a really gentle process, she just closed her eyes and went to sleep, but I still feel traumatised by the whole experience.

When I came out of the vets that day, clutching her collar, I came face to face with a huge brindle greyhound sitting in the front seat of a very small car. I took it as an omen and rescued a greyhound soon after that. I like to think that Cindy chose my next dog for me. Ash has been brilliant.

Sorry for your loss. Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

I am so, so sorry to read of your loss of your Girl.... words are never enough at such a sad time you will get comfort knowing she had a greyt life with you for 8 yrs thinkin of you both xxxxxx amanda

I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy. It doesn't matter how long we have them, it's just never long enough. Thinking about all of you.

Karen

Hi John and Janice,
We're so terribly, terribly sorry to hear about wee Lucy. We remember her. She was such a nice girl. Nothing except time can help your sorrow.
Try not to remember the sad day but remember all the happy days you had with her. You gave her a wonderful life and she constantly told you that.
Please remember that you had no choice at the end. The decision has to be taken if you really love your dog and you both certainly did that.
She is in no pain now. Run free with all your friends over Rainbow Bridge little girl.
Celia and Jimmy.

So sorry to hear your news. Our thoughts are with you all.
Run free over rainbow bridge dear Lucy

Karen, Pat and Ace

So sorry to hear ur news its so sad...but remember the good times. Ur all in my thoughts x

So sad to read about Lucy. You'll be heartbroken but think of all the many happy years you had together. She would have had a wonderful life with you x

Sorry to hear of your loss...its not easy...remember the good times x

We had to do the same six weeks ago with our big lad Nipper. It's so very hard and there is a huge gap in our lives. Thinking about you at this sad time and know exactly how you feel.

Dear John and Janice,
You know, 8 happy years is a long time to an ex-racing greyhound and Lucy was a very lucky girl.
As you describe it, she knew quite well her time had come and she was telling you that in her own way, you just made it as easy as possible for her and she would thank you for that.
I had a similar experience with my beautiful lurcher, Charna, and it is so sudden and distressing, you have my every sympathy.
They are big, heavy, fast dogs with long backs, so I guess the spine is an obvious weak point if a greyhound is susceptible to arthritic conditions.
Believe me, you will be able to look back and smile.

So sorry to hear about Lucy. Best wishes from us all and remember those fabulous 8 years you had with her.

So sorry to hear your sad news about Lucy. Run Free Over Rainbow Bridge Baby Girl x Thinking of you at this time x