Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Itchy skin

Can anyone help... Brhea my 5 year old girl scratches at her shoulders alot. The skin is not flaky nor does she have any little pests. She will twitch her skin sometimes whilst patting her back. Can anyone suggest anything?

Re: Itchy skin

All 3 of our dogs are exactly the same so I too would be interested in any opinions about this.

John

Could it be anything to do with her moulting? I notice Grace is like that at the top of her back legs but only when she's shedding fur....Archie on the other hand doesnt ...but thats probably because he's too preoccupied looking for treats, squirrels, an empty space on the sofa.....

Hi Angela,
At this time of year we have a lot of casting dogs. Some, with good coats, don't seem to be casting much, but a high percentage of them try to scratch the casting fur away.
This could quite possibly be what your dog is doing.
Celia and Jimmy.

The text below is pasted from one of animal websites...It may help a bit...

My 3-year-old Rottie/Shepherd mix seems to be very touch sensitive. He quivers when he’s touched on his flanks and back. It seems to be in surprise rather than pain, as if he’s not expecting to be touched, though he doesn’t react similarly to touch elsewhere and he doesn’t object to it – it just seems to surprise him. He doesn’t whine or otherwise vocalize. He sees his vet regularly and is in good health.

Margaret
South Austin, TX

Trembling and quivering are very common in pets. Almost anything that can make a human tremble or quiver can make a pet do so as well. There are some exceptions. For instance, I have yet to see a dog or cat tremble upon hearing his favorite piece of music.

Certain medical conditions and metabolic irregularities can lead to trembling, quivering, or increased sensitivity to touch. But based upon your description I doubt that your dog has a medical problem.

Every person has experienced a chill go down the spine when his or her skin was touched in just the right way. That is what I suspect is happening in your dog.

The most sensitive area on many pets is along the back, especially near the tail. This area appears to have highly sensitized nerve endings. Many cats especially are prone to twitching their skin when this area is stroked. Some cats are so sensitive in this area that they engage in compulsive grooming behavior when scratched near the base of the tail.

Flea allergies sometimes exacerbate the sensitivity of the skin and may cause increased twitching when pets are handled. But I am guessing that fleas aren’t playing a role in your dog’s behavior. As long as your dog doesn’t seem distressed when you pet him, I see nothing to worry about.