Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Loss of my Big Boy B

I'm sitting here lost for words - so much I would love to say & so very much I'm unable to say at the moment.
Sadly, yesterday morning after an agonising decision me & Bobby had to take our big gorgeous, crazy boy Brionnach on his final journey. Although we made the right decision for him, why is it still heartbreaking & hurts so very much? Even though it's very early days there's a big crazy space that can never be filled.
We brought our boy home with us & he's laid to rest in his favourite sunny spot in the garden. Run free over the rainbow bridge wee man xxx

Re: Loss of my Big Boy B

So sorry to hear of your sad loss. Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

Oh Shona, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news - I remember you posted on Foxy's foster log because she was the same colour as your beautiful boy.
Grieving takes its own time but then I'm sure you will let another lucky greyhound into your hearts.
We all send our best wishes to you and Bobby.
Mike & Marion, Kim, Dylan, Bryn, Foxy & Charlie

Oh Shona - we are so very, very sorry to hear about big Brionnach. He was a gorgeous boy. We remember him so well.
At this moment in time there is nothing we can say or do that could ease your pain. We've met this so often before. All we can say is our thoughts are with you at this time and we too are grieving for the loss of a wonderful boy.
Run happily and free over Rainbow Bridge big boy.
Celia and Jimmy.

So very very sorry to read of your loss. Our thoughts are with you........

Hi Shona, it's so very hard isn't it. The grief can be overwhelming. It will be 9 weeks this Sunday since we had to let our big lad go. I still light a candle for him every week and have a wee cry, especially yesterday which would have been his 11th birthday.

We are ready now to welcome another hound into our home and are going to see Celia and Jimmy and the dogs tomorrow. I send you a big cuddle and know that all the people who have lost dogs know exactly what you are going through XX

Hi Shona,

Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope the support that you will receive from everyone at GRF and the wider Greyhound Community will help you all through this tough time.

All the best from all our clan.

Evan

Hi Shona, so very sorry to hear your sad news. It is so hard, we went through the same in September and I had no idea how big a hole a pet could leave in your heart.
Love to Maisie, hope she is ok, our other dog really suffered, he went off his food, wouldn't go out in the garden and just seemed so sad, it was because of him we made the trip back to Celia and Jimmy.

Everyone we love will pass away at some point leaving us in grief unless we pass away first, leaving in grief these who love us...That is life and there are always the two ways...The only thing we can do is to come to terms with it... Grief, bereavement are the things we have to go through...It takes time the wounds become scarred but we will always hold them (the beloved) in our hearts...
Is death always bad? No it is not when it frees the suffering from pain and indignity...
Shona, you did everything you could. Your friend is on the other side, free from pain...Keep the best memories of him, that is all you can do and...that is so much as well to have been privileged to have (had) such a good friend...

Hugs to you all.....xx

Thankyou all, very much for your kind & thoughtful posts
Would really appreciate any advice to help us get Maisie (the lucky ones, page 15) through this sad & difficult time. She's very subdued & not her usual cheeky self at all which isn't in the least bit surprising - she's lost her constant companion. She is still eating which is great but she's not asking for her breakfast/dinner which is TOTALLY out of character for her. She follows Bobby & I from room to room & although she's not her usual self she's ok when she's with either one or both of us. When we leave her alone, even for short periods she's clearly getting distressed - barking (think I've heard her bark 6 times in 4 years) digging hall carpet, peeing & taking stuff off kitchen bunkers. If it's something that can be shredded she will & then pee on it. When we come home it takes her about 15 minutes to stop frantic panting & to settle. It's so upsetting to see her like this
I have no doubt that we will welcome another wonderful grey into our lives when the time is right

When our last boy went our girl was 12 and happy with her own company, but it sounds like your girl is lonely

I think another male companion may be the answer - perhaps you could foster a boy and see how that goes for all of you?

Hi Shona,
When you are ready a boyfriend is the answer.
We however understand and respect your grief.
Celia and Jimmy.

Shona,
When I lost my boy lurcher, Mr Bean, several years ago, Charna, my girl lurcher, completely lost her confidence and would make a huge detour rather than pass close to another dog. She was also quite subdued at home, and somewhat ambivalent about feeding time.
It took me a while, but I decided to adopt a boy greyhound chum for her and, as soon as Kim arrived, she was immediately transformed back into her old happy, playful, food-loving self. I promised myself then that I would never leave it so long again, but I completely understand how hard it is, and only you will know when you're ready.