Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bluebell's Broken Toe...

Hi all,

Just looking for wee bit of advice. Our poor girl has broken her toe yesterday, vet had to sedate her & x-ray it so when I picked her up she was feeling sooooo sorry for herself & was very sore. During the night she managed to nibble off the sticky blue dressing & had to get it re-dressed this morning.
Vets given us a huge lampshade thing for her but she looks even more sorry for herself when its on as its so big.
I'm wondering if we could use her big muzzle (the one we got from you guys when we adopted her) instead of the lampshade thing at night & if we go out??? It doesnt seem as awkward but I'm not sure if the lampshade thingymagig is better or not? I feel so sorry for her & of course she's getting even more cuddles n kisses than usual (if thats possible as she's spoilt rotten anyway)...
Anyhoo, she'll have the dresings on for at least 3 weeks in the hope that it won't need to be pinned & so she's not allowed any walks until then.
We don't even know what she did, we were out in the garden & heard her yelp, when we came in she was holding her leg up, can only think she might have been having a mad 5 minutes to herself spinning round the lounge as she does & has caught her nail in the carpet fracturing the bone...ouch.
Anyway, if anyone could let us know about the lamphade thingymagig versus her muzzle for when we're not around, that would be great!!

Re: Bluebell's Broken Toe...

Hi Fiona,
The Mickey muzzle ( lampshade ) is better than the muzzle since she can still grip the dressing through the muzzle. Another possibility is to put the foot in a Wilson dog shoe with velcro fastenings. It pads the foot and keeps the dressings intact.
Give her one of our biggest cuddles - that's bound to help.
Celia and Jimmy.

Thanks, I'll look into the wilson shoe as it looks like she'll have it on for a few weeks. Hope you're both well..x

Poor Bluebell, I agree with Celia and Jimmy that her muzzle would only offer partial protection against nibbling the dressing off. Is it her front leg or back leg? The lampshade has to be big because their necks are long and slim - we found Kim could reach his front toes even with his buster collar on. He has a very narrow head and was also a dab hand at wriggling out of it!
At least Bluebell didn't need to be in plaster - Bryn sends her his sincere condolences - as you know, he is quite pain-averse, unless he's in 'chase mode', when all central nervous function seems to desert him.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, let us know how she gets on with her Jimmy Choo!

Hehe, was laughing at that wee bit about Bryn, guess he's just the same boy as ever!!
Bluebell's doing fine, the vet keeps changing her dressing every 4 days & to my delight is using a lovely pink sticky dressing which matches her collar so she still looks gorgeous lol...
She's not too chuffed that she cant go walks but we're taking her out in the car with us every day to stop her getting bored n she loves that anyway.