Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Our Billy Has Viral Pneumonia!!!

Billy is a sick boy under vet supervision and has now been diagnosed with Pneumonia in the right lung!!

On Thursday 7th July he was diagnosed with an upper track respiratory infection (General Name Kennel Cough) He had a temperature of 103 degrees and also a cough. He was given an anti-inflammatory injection (Metacam) a course of Oxytetracycline (Antibiotic) and Bisolvon (Helps clear Mucus in the airways)

Billy started to deteriorate badly last night (Saturday into Sunday) so it was back to the emergency vet today (Sunday)
After examination it was found his temperature had risen to 104.5 degrees and that the infection had in fact gone in to his right lung (The Diagnosis Pneumonia in the right lung) The vets words he is a sick dog!!
The Oxytetracycline had not worked on the existing infection causing his condition to deteriorate over the last few days.
He has been given a Large injection of (Metacam) again and another large injection of Enrofloxacin (A different antibiotic) to try and get his temperature down and to start working on his Pneumonia.
We have to keep him hydrated using a syringe put in the side of his mouth as he is not eating or drinking since his temperature went through the roof. He has also got a fan blowing on him to cool him down.

We are back at the vet tomorrow morning to check on his progress especially his temperature. If progress has been made then hopefully we will get oral antibiotics for him and he will have got over the worst of this traumatic illness.

There was a time last night when we thought we were going to lose him watching his heart literally thumping like a pneumatic drill against his chest. I t was a terrible experience for Billy and us and lets hope we don't have to experience anything like that again.

Tonight I can say he is still poorly but he is much more settled in himself, and I feel that his temperature is more tolerable for him.

Fingers and paws crossed King Billy has a better night tonight and he get a better report at the vets tomorrow.

Can I just finish by saying if your hound does develop a cough like "something stuck in their throat", I would suggest going to the vet as this was how Billy started!!! You really want to avoid complications if you can!!

Geoorge, Morag, Lassie

And a Sick Billy Dog

Re: Our Billy Has Viral Pneumonia!!!

Oh dear,
George and Morag, we are terribly sorry to hear this about our big pal. We very sincerely hope that he is much better tomorrow morning.
Could we make a wee suggestion ? While using the fan it is a good idea to cover him with a cold wet blanket. This assists to bring his temperature down. It is used on dogs suffering from heat stroke where their temperatures are too high.
In the meantime give him one of our biggest cuddles.
Please keep us posted.
His old Auntie Celia and Uncle Jimmy.

Aw George, Morag & Lassie. Soooo sorry to hear about Billy. Have paws & everything else crossed that there'll be a big improvement in Billy tomorrow. Sending luv & cuddles from us, Shona, Bobby. Maisie & Zola (now Franco) x

Extra cuddles to King Billy boy :-) Hope his temp has come down a bit since your last post xx

Best wishes to Billy (and you guys) All sets of fingers and paws firmly crossed for the King B.

Hang in Billy, you have a big greyhound heart and it will surely keep you going until the vets find the right antibiotic for this horrible infection.
You all have my very best wishes - I can well imagine how much stress you must be feeling.
How thoughtful of you to warn us all of the cough symptoms. My Kim often clears his throat (loudly) but it's usually because he's previously eaten something too quickly to chew it properly. I would never have associated it with a lung infection but I shall be vigilant now, thank you.
We have everything crossed for you,
Marion, Mike, Kim, Bryn, Foxy and Dylan

What a bad piece of news to hear!
I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of you, and in this case especially for Billy.
I hope that his immune system is strong enough to fight the viral infection. Antibiotics are usually given to prevent any bacterial infection to develop on top of this. I think immune system boosters should be given to trigger his organism to fight it off.

Re: Our Billy Has Viral Pneumonia!!! (Update Monday)

Billy was back at the vet today and unfortunately his core body temperature is still 104.5 degrees. He seems slightly brighter but is still a very sick dog.

The vet today repeated the antibiotic and anti- inflammatory injections and also gave him a diuretic injection to try and reduce the build up of mucus in his lungs.

We have to try and get him to drink as much fluid as possible to the extent of using a syringe in the side of his mouth. For food it has to be sloppy as possible to encourage him to eat even a little is a bonus at the moment as it will help replace what he has lost due to his illness.

We are continuing with the fans to keep him cool and yes we have also used wet towels thanks for the suggestion Auntie Celia and Uncle Jimmy.
We are hoping for a good nights sleep for billy as he is worn out and its back to the vets again tomorrow.

So far I am please to say that Lassie has stayed healthy fingers and paws crossed she remains so!!!

Thanks to everyone for their kind words for Billy, He knows that he is being thought of and we will get through this with all our help

Will keep you posted on his progress.

George, Morag, Lassie

And a Very sick Billy Dog (Get Well Soon)

Re: Our Billy Has Viral Pneumonia!!! (Update Tuesday)

Billy was back at the Vet today (Tuesday) his temp is still 104.5, the vet has given him different antibiotics (Trimethoprim 80 mg) and a steroid injection (Desadreson) and we have to go back tomorrow.

Billy is getting dehydrated The loose skin on his neck is loosing it's elasticity due to his high temperature and not eating or drinking enough. It is hard to get him to drink though using a 5ml syringe in the side of his mouth.

On the bright side today he is drinking more by himself and he likes Complan (The food suppliant) in total today Billy has managed about 1 litre of fluid. Uncle Jimmy will be jealous he got a Salmon fillet tonight to try and get him to eat and Billy ate the lot. We were chuffed to bits when it went down his throat!!!

Billy seems brighter and more responsive to us tonight so all our fingers and paws are crossed that he could have got past the worst. LETS HOPE SO!!!

Even poor lassie cant understand what has happened to her kennel mate she is not her usual bouncy self. I think she is suffering some Greyhound Stress worrying about Billy.

Will let you all know how Billy gets on tomorrow!!

George, Morag, Lassie
And a sick Billy Dog

Hi George, Morag, Lassie and especially Billy.
Auntie Celia and Uncle Jimmy are rooting for you big boy.
We've got or fingers and toes crossed that you'll feel much better tomorrow. Then Uncle Jimmy'll be able to share your salmon.
Good luck King Billy.
Auntie Celia and Uncle Jimmy. xxxxxxxxxxx

I have only just seen this post about poor Billy. I'm hoping he is feeling much better soon and am thinking of you all.

Hiya George, Morag & Lassie - any news on Billy? Hope he's a bit better today. Me, Bobby, Maisie & Franco (aka Zola) have everything crossed for your big boy x

Re: Our Billy Has Viral Pneumonia!!! (Update Wednesday) GOOD NEWS!!!!

We have good news to report at last tonight. Billy was once again at the vets today and HIS TEMPERATURE IS BACK TO NORMAL AT LAST. The (Trimethoprim 80 mg) seems to be the antibiotic that has broken the back of the infection.

We have to continue with the Trimethoprim and the steroid Predisterone to try and make him eat, Also the diuretic furosemide to make him pee and drink.

Billy has started to eat small amounts of solid food again much to our relief (Mince and bread in meat juice). Now we have the fun of sorting out the poo end, he had terrible diarrhea last night A bit of cleaning up today Something we did not care about as he is getting better!!

Since last Thursday Billy has lost 3KG in weight which is a lot for a Greyhound with no fat reserves like other breeds do. We have been advised that Billy is going to have a long Rehabilitation before he gets fully back to the Billy he was.

Billy goes back to the vet on Friday (a day off from the vets tomorrow Thursday) to get checked over and hopefully the vet will be happy with his progress.

I can now say Billy is a G R F Dog with a Huge Heart and a willingness to live. He needed it in his early racing life to survive and it did not let him down this time in his time of need. He had decided it was not his time knowing he had all of us fighting his corner for him.

Will keep you posted how he is doing.

Many Thanks

Billy (Much Better Now)
George, Morag & Lassie

Whoopeeeeee.
Well done Billy. We're so pleased.
Now that you are better you can leave us some of that salmon.
Keep it improving Billy. We're all rooting for you.
Auntie Celia and Uncle Jimmy.

Excellent news

Just brilliant

Fantastice news. This has made my day. I can imagine how happy & relieved you all are.
Brilliant
Luv, hugs & rubs from all of us
S, B, M & F x

Well done Billy we all have our fingers and paws crossed for you.

Richard, Liz Leo and Carrie

You can take a lot of the credit for Billy's stamina and determination to get over this, he has such a happy life with you he just never wants it to end!
Did your vet recommend mince and bread? I've found rice with chicken or scrambled egg seems to go down well and doesn't upset the tum too much - but it's probably more down to the drugs and stress, poor boy.
Keep it up, Billy, Michelle wants you for her 2012 calendar!
Marionx

Re: Our Billy Has Viral Pneumonia!!! (Update Friday) MORE GOOD NEWS!!!!

Billy was back at the vet today (Friday), The vet was smiling when he saw the improvement in Billy today. Billy's temperature has stayed normal at 101 degrees now since Wednesday and the Pneumonia in his lungs is gradually improving daily.

The vet is keeping him on all the medication that I mentioned in my last post for a further 5 days and then Billy goes back to visit his friendly vet next Wednesday for a further check up.

In the mean time we have to start building him up again with small meals often, Till his stomach gets used to the idea of food again. His interest in food is improving every day now and we are so delighted about that. He has started behaving like a hound again!! He is drinking with no problem now and is hydrated and peeing normally.

I Mentioned previously he had lost 3KG in weight but when you put it in perspective that he lost 10% of his body weight in a week it gives you a big wake up call. Till we build Billy up a bit he looks like skin and bone.

It was the vet that suggested (raw mince and bread) and (Chicken and rice) he wont get chicken in our house though Morag has an allergy to it and George does not like it(Lassie would eat it though). We have found any thing with a strong flavour has been best, Salmon,Tuna,Hot Dogs,Cream Cheese for putting the tablets in and Yoghurt.

Billy is still too weak to go out for any kind of a walk so he is restricted to the back garden and lots of bed for recuperating. As you know Billy has been very sick so it is going to take lots of tender loving care to help him to find his feet in his quest to full health and fitness. He can take as long as he needs in his recovery we are just glad that he is so much better now.

Once again thank you all very much for your kind words of support for Billy, For those of you that know Billy he is a special dog. He did not want to let any well wishers down and that is why he fought through this to win this battle. Billy will want thank you all when he gets a bit better and meets you at Baltree.

Thanks again

Billy (Feeling much better now)

George, Morag & Lassie

Hi George,Morag Lassie & especialy Billy. Glad to hear your over the worst and we all wish you well for your continuing recovery.

Get well soon

Moira,Stuart,Barney,Tina, Rona,Mac & Isla

SO happy for you all - Billy, milk it for all you've got, pet, you'll be spoiled rotten for the next few weeks. Do post a pic soon for all his fans.
He will, of course, expect this gourmet diet as standard - and I expect his uncle Jimmy will be looking for a share too (mind you, he looks pretty gorgeous on chocolate biscuits and Wafcol!)
I sense another happy ending!

Re: Our Billy Has Viral Pneumonia!!! (Pictures of Billy Saturday)

Billy is improving again today and is now eating quite well. (Billy managed his first solid No 2 for a week this morning) Strange maybe but we were excited because that is another hurdle that he has got over! All the bits are still working!!!

Yes he is milking it and quite rightly so, "It will take time to get our strength back wont it!!" So we will serve him food where ever he is lying and is making sure that he is getting fussed over.
At the same time we have to make sure that Lassie does not feel left out (more treats for her at the moment) She thinks she is in doggy heaven!

Below are some pictures trying to show how Billy has lost the weight from his body.

Billy enjoying the sun again.

You can see his spine profile in this picture!

Trying to pose for the camera! (You can see the spine is evident again in this picture)

Billy's shrunk waistline is clear in this one!

It is more obvious his weight loss in this picture. (The spine is very obvious and the shrunk waistline after the chest)

The pictures below are from different angles of Billy to give you an idea of how the loss of 3kg in his weight 10% of his body mass in only a week can literately degenerate a Greyhound.

Thanks for all the get well soon wishes.

Billy

George, Morag & Lassie

Great stuff Billy the kid.
You can't keep a good Billy down.
Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Your servants from the east, C and J.

Oh Billy Boy !

Really hope by the time I've posted you are back up to speed for eating meals ! You've faded away to a shadow, I know you haven't really, compared to some of the poor dogs that come into the kennels but still you are not the man you used to be !!! Please if you are now feeling better show George and Morag what your old appetite was like and impress them with what you can consume. Best wishes to you. Love Duke xx

Thanks so much for the update and the pics of the beautiful waif-like Billy. He looks so patient and trusting that everything will be OK, and I'm sure it will be, thanks to his great family (and a good vet).
I'm sure it won't be too long before he's back up to full strength, but I know it can take ages to put weight on a greyhound, so I guess the treats will keep flowing for a while (lucky Lassie!).
SO happy for you all,
Marion

When I look back at pictures of our last boy he looks painfully thin, but he gradually declined to that state over a period of years - it must have been quite some shock to see Billy lose so much weight over a few days. We're really pleased that he's on the mend and wish him a speedy return to full health.

Re: Our Billy Has Viral Pneumonia!!! (Update Wednesday 20th July)

Once again Billy visited his favourite vet Mr. Houston who has looked after Billy since the start of his Pneumonia.
Billy is continuing to progress although slowly and Mr. H was very happy with him today.

Billy has to carry on with his antibiotics and steroids for a further week as there is still congestion especially in his right lung. The vet wants to see him again for a check up next Wednesday (27th July) to see how he is doing.

He has improved in himself now that he is drinking normally. We had to build up the portion size of his food and the frequency that he was given his food, to get his stomach used to food again.

Billy is now eating his normal food and we are trying to give him three slightly smaller meals instead of two large ones. This way we can increase his intake of food over the day rather than all at once.

Billy is managing very short walks now which he is definitely enjoying getting out, Although it is tiring for him. We walk at a stroll and if we need to stop for a rest to get our breath back that's what we do.
Billy will take a long time to get his strength and his lung capacity back, We will take it day by day, week by week till he is well again. He is our special big boy and we will get him fit again.

Pneumonia is one of these infections that can reoccur especially if it leaves the lungs scarred as it can in some cases. The only way to find out if scaring has occurred is to do a chest X-Ray.

Mr. H the vet seems a bit puzzled how Billy came to contract this Pneumonia and the initial upper respiratory infection as it is in theory "infectious". If this was the case Lassie would have shown symptoms by now (Mr. H has kept asking about Lassie). It is an unusual time of the year to contract Pneumonia it is usually more likely in the winter months.
His other thought was it could be an underlying condition from his past.

The conclusion is Billy got Pneumonia he was very sick he is getting better and he knows he is safe, loved and is looked after the very best we can.

Will keep you posted on his progress.

Finally thanks for all kind thoughts for Billy. We cuddle him every night and tell him that all his friends are thinking about him. 2 and 4 legged friends!!!

Billy

George, Morag & Lassie

Well done Billy.
Your old Auntie and Uncle are rooting for you.
Get well very soon and your old Uncle won't feel so guilty when he pinches your salmon.
Keep up the good work Billy. Your Mummy and Daddy are working very hard for you.
Celia and Jimmy.

Hey,

Im glad Billy is improving!

Its awful to seem them unwell, especially when they cant tell you what's the matter!

Let us know how he get's on at the vets on Wednesday.

Big hugs to all!

Laura, Dougie, Yogi and Nikki

Re: Our Billy Has Viral Pneumonia!!! GOOD NEWS (Update Wednesday 27th July)

I have just been to see my friend "Mr B" aka the vet he said I was doing so well that I don't have to go back for a month which was good news and even better news my humans have to feed me lots of "EXTRA" carbohydrates like bread, rice and pasta as well as my treats and dinner of course. To help me put my weight back on as I was weighed today and I was only 26.55KG

I should weigh around 29.5KG

I like Mr B. "He says you should get your human servants to give you carbohydrates" To help you put your weight back on.

Us Hounds have to look our best, Don't we!!!

Mr B. also said that I did not need any more pills to my relief. Although getting the pills disguised in cream cheese wrapped in meat, I suppose was OK as I gulped them down dutifully each morning like a good Hound!!

I have to watch I do not get too hot or I get the cool fans blowing on me to cool me down as too much panting is not good for me at the moment.
Apparently when we pant we loose heat by allowing water vapour to evaporate from our breaths.

Watch this space for my update!

Billy

Re: Our Billy Has Viral Pneumonia!!! GOOD NEWS (Update Wednesday 27th July)

Great news Billy!
George and Morag, you must be feeling SO relieved. I anticipate some disappointment once the target weight is achieved and the carbs are reduced again, but it's great that he has his appetite back and a few pounds over is better than 3 kilos under.
I guess Lassie must have some kind of immunity to the virus, so she's in a win-win situation - more treats and no illness (clever girl!).
Hope it's all plain sailing from now on.
Marionx

1 2