Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: lost grey - Paddy

I've spoken to one of the nurses at the vets today to see how our boy is doing. They're all calling him Paddy now, so that's his name

He is continuing to make good progress and can get himself up on his feet unaided. He still needs help to stay upright most of the time, but can remain upright unassisted for brief periods. He'll be staying at the vets over the weekend, and hopefully he'll be fit enough to come to us early next week.

Have just been reading Paddy's story. Great to have such caring people in the world. Looking at Paddy's pics he's looks to be the same beautiful blue of my Amy. Keep up the good work everyone.

The vet called me today to say there are some signs of infection so they'll deal with that before they release him, most likely toward the end of the week. He gave me an open invitation to come and visit any time, so I'll pop up early next week to see how he is.

Top work to you both for taking in the boy. Terribly sad story and the cruelty of some people is not worth thinking about

Taking him into a stable pack will make his recuperation so much easier and fingers crossed it will take him no time at all to figure 3 legs is just as much fun as 4

It's great that you guys can help make would could have been a tragic story into another GRF success story.

Well done again guys, looking forward to reading more about Paddy as he recuperates in your pack.

There has been a development with Paddys wounds. Unfortunately what started of as a small bit of infection in his thigh has developed further over the weekend. The vet has operated again today to remove infected tissue. Paddy is not helping himself at the moment because it apppears he is not house trained, so he is tending to go to the loo where he is and then sitting in it, and this obviously is not helping combat infection. I think he was being kept outside in a run (from which he escaped) and pretty much left to fend for himself - his coat is consistent with being an outdoor kennel dog rather than a house dog. I have taken Aquacel silver dressings up to the vets for them to use on the wound, and I noticed that the vet has put a drain in at the end of the stitches. All we can do now is hope and pray that this does the job. I plan to visit him again tomorrow.

Thanks for keeping us up to speed on poor Paddy's progress even if it is up and down. We have been following events as they are posted about Paddy.

The vet and their team sounds absolutely fantastic and if we were closer we would thank them personally for their care and attention for this poor boy Paddy.

Thank you Steve and Julie for giving Paddy a home to rehabilitate in hopefully when he improves enough to go home with you.

This is GRF doing what it does best "Saving Greyhounds in their time of need"

Thanks to Esther for getting the ball rolling in the first place.

Lets hope that he is strong enough with a continuing will to live, It will give him the strength he needs to pull through this traumatic time of his life.

All our Fingers and Paws are crossed that you beat the infection "PADDY"

You are a GRF Hound now and all have big hearts and a will to live (all 500 of them), If you can show the will to live and get better, The loving care and a caring family that you deserve will follow.

You deserve that my friend.

Like all hounds you don't ask for a lot, TLC, food, a bed or two in the house and a family that understands your breed and looks after you properly and keeps you safe and well.

GET WELL SOON PADDY!!!

George, Morag, Billy & Lassie

Oh bless Paddy is a gorgeous boy what a shame he is having to go through all that he is. Well done Steve and Julie for being there for him he is gonna need all the help and love he can poor boy.Keeping fingers crossed that things go well with his infection and he is soon able to go home with u guys and find out what life can actually be like for him!! x

Hi Guys,
We had grave news today.
This morning the vet phoned and said that he wanted to put Paddy to sleep. He said that he felt that nothing more could be done for him because the skin was necrotising around another serious injury.
Celia would not accept this and argued that perhaps something could be done and GRF would be happy to pay the costs.
The vet has reconsidered and has given Paddy another operation around the necrotised area. The vet states that the chances of success are no more than 50%. However we consider that 50% are better odds than PTS. Steve has kindly visited today and had a look at Paddy.
All we can do now is hope and pray.
Jimmy.

poor Paddy

will be praying really hard for him

He needs a break

mags

This is such a heartbreaking story unfolding before us-when I look at our two healthy Greys it make me want to weep-Good luck Paddy love from Archie and Sweetie xx

Come on Paddy lad. The thoughts of our crazy crew are all with you.

Fully agree with Jimmy; 50% is a big enough chance and just had to be taken.

Fingers crossed......

Oh dear, this is a big ask for the wee man, since his life was probably not that happy before, by the sound of it. I didn't realise his injuries were so serious.
Steve, I'm sure your visits will really help to give him the will to get better - greyhounds understand these things - and I hope so much for your sake and Julie's that his 'mind over matter' will allow him to respond to your kindness and pull through.
Hang in Paddy, it may not seem like it right now but there IS a much better world out there, pet, and my limpy Fox is looking forward to meeting you one day.
Everything X'd for you all,
Marion

Another wee update. The vets are pleased with how the stitching has gone and have applied the silver dressing. With injuries such as these, the vet told me that infection can come about due to pressure and trauma from the original incident, but that this can take a few days to come through. Hopefully now that he has cut back the skin to find good skin to stitch back together the antibiotics and silver dressing will keep any further infection at bay, or least keep it at manageable levels so the wound can heal. There is still a very small bit of discharge. Time will tell if this second operation has been a success and I sincerely hope it will be becuase there may not be enough skin to try the same procedure again. When they operated on him, they changed the dressing on his other leg and they told me that wound is healing up very nicely, so that's positive news.

Paddy himself looked much brighter today. Kell and Lucy have both donated a toy for him, which I gave to him. He gave them a quick sniff but wasn't hugely interested in them (mind you, a buster collar can curb a dogs enthusiasm to play!). One of the vet nurses doesn't think that Paddy has had a great deal of human contact so far in his life. While I was there he got up unaided and went for a very short walk outside with me and a nurse, but then stopped dead and refused to move! We had to use a towel as a sling to get him to move again. I spent about an hour and a half with him just stroking his head and talking to him, telling him about his new house and his new brother and sister who are going to help him, and the big open area where he go for walks when he's better. I'm not sure if he understood me or not, but then that's no different to my usual day job...

I plan to visit him again on Thursday. Fingers crossed he will get better and beat the infection.

That is positive news Steve hope that Paddy goes from strength to strength from now on - all fingers and paws are crossed here!! Bless his little head must be all over the place wondering what is going on but aw bless u for sitting with him as that can only help him get his head around what is going on and start 2 feel more secure. And the brave boy getting up and walking on his own...Im sure there will be a few responses on here from folks dealing with perfectly well and four legged greys who also stop dead and won't walk so thats probably not so much of a worry!!lol
So...COME ON PADDY!!U CAN DO IT!!We r all behind him (and even Bambi sends her love!)and once again well done all the human helpers involved! x

Come on Paddy we are all rooting for you!!! As Jimmy says a 50 % chance is definately worth going that extra mile for so well done you guys for pushing forward with that. Steve just reading that there it is very clear to me that Paddy is going to a have a very loving home to go to and probably something he has never experienced before so good on you guys. We will keep all fingers and paws crossed for Paddy.

Karen

Come on Paddy.

We are all rooting for you sweetie and Ace sends a big hug xx

Kaz, Pat and Ace

Wouldn't worry about him walking then stopping and not moving, Jack does it all the time

It seems mad talking to the greys but I'm pretty sure most of them understand us!!! I'm sure Paddy will be taking some of it in and it can only lift his spirits having daily human interaction.

Fingers and paws and still crossed for the Padster...

Steve, I reckon that hour and a half with Paddy yesterday could well have made all the difference and I'm sure tomorrow's news will be good.
I expect it works in your day job too, but it's just not 'cool' for your audience to let you know they appreciate it!
Fantastic that Paddy already managed to walk a bit - that in itself shows he hasn't given up yet - what a brave boy
May luck be on your side.
Marion

Hi Guys,
Paddy didn't have such a good day today. His amputation is healing up very well but the second infected wound is proving difficult to heal. They have had to change his dressings and have put a state of the art infection absorbing dressing over the wound. The vets are working tirelessly but we hope that Paddy's infected injury starts to heal soon.
Celia and Jimmy.

Come on Paddy lad.

We are all thinking of you and wishing you better.

Kaz & Pat Brundell and Ace

Come on Paddy,

Quincy and Ghillie are rooting for you. They send big get well hugs.

Karen

Sending Paddy lots of love and sending him lots of healing wishes. You can do it Paddy you beautiful boy!!

We are all thinking about him here.

Elaine xxx

I'm sure the fact that he got to his feet and tried to walk means he's not ready to die just yet, and there's this nice man in a funny hat (sorry Steve! ) that he wants to get to know a lot better.
With a little luck and a few more antibodies you can do this, Paddy, you just can't give up now.
SO much hoping he turns the corner soon,
Marion

I'll be visitng Paddy at 4:00 this afternoon (the vets are very busy today). I'll give an update on his progress tonight. Paddy has yet to see my exceptionally stylish hat, although he has seen a few of my very nice shirts

I went to see Paddy this afternoon. He was lying in the area at the back of the vets by his kennel as there were no other animals in. He looked bright and alert, watching everything that was going on, and lifting his head to watch people coming and going. He is eating well, getting up and walking and is keen to get out into the yard outside first thing in the morning. As you can see from the pictures below he is a good weight and build.

However, his wound still isn't healing up as it should. The vet has taken a swab from it and sent it off for analysis to see if the antibiotics are being effective. The wound isn't as bad as it was last week when the skin broke down and there was considerable pussy discharge, but nonetheless it is not healing up as it should. Hopefully the lab results will be back soon and give a clue as to where to go from here.

Well its certainly positive that he seems to be feeling a bit better in himself - and he certainly looks a bit more relaxed in these pics rather than the last ones!! That can only help the healing process.Great to hear that the vet is keeping a close eye on the wounds and keeping fingers crossed that the antibiotics are being effective or that an alternative solution is found. He really is a beautiful boy bless him!

What a lovely dog, I hope he heals quickly.

What a handsome dog! I was almost afraid to log on today in case the news was bad but it's all very encouraging. He's a good weight, as you say Steve, and the normal urges to eat and walk about are clearly there, so it's down to the antibiotics and his own immune system now. He clearly approves of your taste in shirts!
Marion

I am starting a new thread entitled 'Paddy'.

Please do not add any more to this thread.

1 2