Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advice needed

Hi

My greyhound Gemma that we adopted 18 months ago is getting a few behaviour issue's. Basically she is getting FAR to excited easily over everything

We cannot go out in the car with her without Gemma running round the whole house and darting around mad. She has also started doing this when visitors come round (she used to go straight to her bed when we told her to and would stay there)

Has also started jumping on our bed at night (she used to only ever get up when we told her she could)

The past few weeks have been even worse due to her hurting her back leg and not being aloud to walk far and she ends up having to much energy in the afternoon and night

Has anyone experienced this before? If you have any suggestions of how we can change her behaviour please let me know as she really is getting bad at this

Re: Advice needed

Hi there - seems strange that she's just started this, has she had some reason to stress recently? Mikey is an absolute bamstick to get out of the house in the morning and he doesn't always take me seriously when I chastise him, my hubby on the other hand leaves him in no doubt about unacceptable behaviour. If she doesn't react to voice commands over this try going for an "ignore" technique, fold your arms and keep your back to her until she settles. Get any visitors she pesters to do the same. A firm "OFF" for the bed together with an "off" arm signal worked for me. I'll be interested to see how things go.
Isobel

Re: Advice needed

Probably very unlikely but could she be hyperthyroid? My cat developed this and went from being laid back to hyper! Can be checked by blood test. Is she eating more or lost weight recently?