Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Allergic reaction to stings?

Has anyone ever experienced a grey having an adverse reaction to being stung/bitten? Yesterday I was out walking with Maisie & Franco & all of a sudden Maisies head slowly dropped, she remained standing & when I prompted her to walk he was "flicking" out her front leg. My initial thought was that she had a wee stone stuck between her toes so I rummaged around & found nothing. She started walking again but didn't seem to have any co ordination at all & was almost staggering. Fortunately we were only a minute from home & by the time we got in she was totally unable to tackle the stairs. I carried her up to bed & laid her down. Although she was trembling she was calm the whole time & not in the least bit distressed. After only 10mins she was completely back to normal.
I remember once in the past when out walking with Maisie & Big B he appeared to get stung & laid down where he was, frantically panting & trembling. This too passed after 10mins.
I've had a look on the net & can't find anything relating to Greys having anaphylactic reactions to stings/bites.
Anyone got a clue?

Re: Allergic reaction to stings?

Dogs can suffer anaphylactic shock,you can give Piriton,check with your vet first though,my friend had to carry it in her car/bag and have it in the house too for her Grey,I also had it from the vet for a GSD.

Re: Allergic reaction to stings?

Thanks ever so much Rachel. I thought it was odd that a very similar thing has happened to 2 of my Greys. I'll put a pack of antihistamines in my hound pouch