Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Poo eating

Johnny keeps eating his own poo! As soon as he has done one its a race between me picking it up and him eating it!! If anyone has had the same problem and has managed to stop them eating it can you please let me know how you managed it?! Any advice you can give me would be great

Re: Poo eating ""Coprophagia"

Hi Gemma,

Poo eating is quite common known as "Coprophagia" you can search google for this.

This is a quote below from one of the websites. Click the link to read the whole article.

http://www.topinternetguides.com/blog/2008/01/04/stop-coprophagia-poop-eating

You can experiment with adding natural deterrents – such as a few tablespoonfuls of canned pumpkin or pineapple, or fresh grated zucchini – to your dog’s meals. Again, anecdotal evidence suggests that most dogs will readily eat these substances, but that their presence in poop makes it unpalatable.

Our Lassie was a Poo eater but we could not predict when she would decide to eat her poo.
We thought it could have been the change of environment from her being a kennel dog to a house pet that caused her to eat her poo. The other thing that was suggested to us was it was her way of protecting the den. (If she was fending for her self)

As quoted above we tried giving her some pineapple in her food and we persevered with this and now she seems to be fine and does not seem interested in eating her poo!

We do not have to give her pineapple in her food although she likes getting it as a treat now and then!!

We are pleased to say this as she is a very licky dog that is always giving us kisses,

This is another website on facebook

Hope this is of help

Lassie, Who does not eat poo any more!!!

Billy the hound,

And a very happy

George & Morag

Hi George, Morag, Billy and Lassie

Thank you for the advice I will try anything. Although he isn't a very licky dog like Lassie he loves cuddling into our faces and necks, a thing which we dont love too much just now!

My children tell me he does it because before we or Celia and Jimmy got him he didn't get fed well so he only had poo to eat?! They are 5 and 6 years old!

I will try the pineapple at tea time.
Im also glad to know John isnt the only poo eater! I'll check out the sight just now.

Hopefully he will follow in Lassies paw prints and we can enjoy his cuddles again.

Thanks
Gemma and Johnny

Hi Gemma,

Another thought that we had, Each time our Lassie ate her Poo, She got her teeth cleaned.

We were told by someone that worked with Greyhounds, that you could use a small amount of supermarket value toothpaste for people on a wet soft bristled toothbrush on our hounds teeth.

To rinse off after, use a little antiseptic (TCP, Detol or similar) diluted in luke warm water in a tub.

You will probably make the gums bleed a little but don't worry the antiseptic in water will help to stop the slight bleeding in the gums!

(We use a child's toothbrush on Lassie and Billy).

You will read that you cannot use human toothpaste on dogs but used in small amount we are confident to use on our two hounds and had to problems with them.

Alternatively you can get Enzyme toothpaste from your vet (chicken flavour). You put this on to their teeth with your finger and then the dog will lick their teeth and your finger like there is no tomorrow.

You must do what you feel right and comfortable with for Johnny regarding teethcleaning.

Once again we hope this helps you with Johnny.

George, Morag, Billy & Lassie