Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mick's Tail Op

Hi, Could someone please explain why Mick had to have his tail amputated? I am a new visitor to your forum so don't know the reason. Glad he is doing so well after the surgery!
Susan

Re: Mick's Tail Op

It's not uncommon for some greys to get soooooo excited that they break their tails through excessively vigorous wagging against an unmovable object (wall, railing etc). I'm sure someone who knows Mick will be along soon to tell you what happened in his case.

Hi Susan,
Mick cut the tip of his tail months ago and in spite of visits to the vet it kept bleeding when he wagged it.
The vet was concerned that serious infection ( possibly septicaemia ) could set in, so his tail was partially amputated. The bleeding instantly stopped and no life threatening infection could set in.
Celia and Jimmy.

Its actually called 'happy tail' and its usually caused by wagging their tail. My Sam got his caught and it didn't heal so had to come off. Claddagh split the very tip of hers (on that rare day she was actually pleased to see us) and there is literally no give on the skin on greyhounds tails which means she had a few inches off hers. I also have two greyhounds with parts of their ears missing and a tripawd so Nick and his tail fit in very well! One of these days I'll get an entire greyhounds ;)