Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bins

Hi all,

Quick question as I'm sure a lot of you will have this problem...
what methods can be used to deter your greyhound from bin raking? / what bin is best to minimise their chance of actually getting into the bin?

We have been moving the bin out of the kitchen but it's a bit impractical.

Any advice would be welcome thanks!

Jen

Re: Bins

Hi, we used to have a plastic kitchen bin where the lid was placed on top and then turned about 1/8th revolution and it was "locked". It might have been by Addis but I'm not 100% sure.

Good luck,
Michele

we don't have a problem with this except if we are out or asleep so the bin goes out the door

Lassie is the one that gets caught but I am sure Lady is the brain behind the bin diving

At least she has stopped jumping in the sink

Mags

We have a metal bin from IKEA. If the lid is firmly in position, my two can't get it off.

Hi,
we have got bin from Argos, it's press top bin, the top clicks shut so you cannot just open it unless you unclick it. We don't have a problem with Floyd going thro' the bin, I don't know if it's because he cannot or just not interested, but quite good bin and not that expensive.

Monika

You have my sympathy Jennifer, 3 of my 4 hounds would raid any potential food container they could get into if left to their own devices for a while. I have a metal Brabantia bin (tall, slim thing with a foot pedal and tight fitting lid). I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a bin, as it's not that easy to remove the bin liner when it's full, but it is greyhound-proof.
They do lose interest after a while
Marion

We have a smallish bin that fits to the inside of the under sink cupboard, so it's out of sight and out of harms way. One of my last two was very adept at jumping up onto the work surface and raiding the bread bin, but when we changed the worktop from a light colour to black he stopped - dark colour must have put him off!

Thanks guys!

I'm going to buy a new bin tomorrow... Really they should allowed me to take Eddie with me and have him attempt a raid! Then I could chose the one he couldn't get into.

It's not really a problem when we r around because he looks at us as if he knows hes doing wrong but when we aren't there its one huge clean up operation and he doesn't help with that bit!

I'll keep you informed of my bin of choice and if it's greyhound proof.

Thanks again,

Jennifer

And don't let Eddie see you open the bin. My previous dog learnt from watching me how to open the bin which used a foot lever.

Yesterday I bought a nice new bin! Set it up this morning and to be honest I was fairly chuffed! Thought "no chance of Eddie beating this one". Went in the shower came back... Bin emptied everywhere! I'm going to buy a baby lock for it! And maybe not be so smug so quickly!

Eddie for the Krypton Factor! He'd win paws down lol.

Michele

Marion
You have my sympathy Jennifer, 3 of my 4 hounds would raid any potential food container they could get into if left to their own devices for a while. I have a metal Brabantia bin (tall, slim thing with a foot pedal and tight fitting lid). I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a bin, as it's not that easy to remove the bin liner when it's full, but it is greyhound-proof.
They do lose interest after a while
Marion

This is the bin we have, and Vince can open it without any problem! We just put something heavy on top of the lid when we're going out.

Hi all!

Thanks for all your comments. So as I said I bought a new bin but this did not deter Eddie in the slightest. May possibly have made him more determined to show me just what skills he posses... Well I'm pleased to say he doesn't posses the skill to undo a baby lock!

That's right, I have resorted to putting a baby lock on my bin! However this is super efficient!

Maybe I should start a new feed about what baby locks work best? Haha!

Thanks again guys!