Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stiff Legs On A Young Dog

Just 3 weeks ago I adopted the lovely rob, now renamed Guinness, but in the last few weeks I've notice stiffness in on of his back legs and he doesn't seem to be able to use it at all first thing in the morning. I've took him to the vet who said that it's very unusual in a dog of him age, he is only 3, and told me to keep an eye on it and give him a teaspoon full of cod liver oil every day. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this with a younger dog and may have any ideas on what could benefit his joints?

he does love a cuddle with his teddy though

Re: Stiff Legs On A Young Dog

Hi Danielle,

We have got Quincy and he's 5 now, was 3 and a half when we rescued him. He does have some problems with stiff joints now and again. On occasion if he has been lying down for a while when he gets up he is sometimes quite stiff I've also had him out walking before and he's just started limping an would not walk any further. It's difficult to say whats the cause however Quincy had a racing injury we think as he has staple or stitch marks up the back of his leg so I think this is where his problem stems from. Cod liver oil is very good for there joints and just trying not to over walk him if he is sore.

Hope this helps
Karen

I think the website below may explain and give some advice on how to deal with this problem.

http://thewholedog.org/Artarthritis.html

Another option is: "ADEQUAN is a drug we have had excellent success with. This product helps rebuild worn joint cartilage and spinal discs. It is given as an injection, usually one a week for 6 weeks then once every 3-6 months to maintain the benefits. Results are usually seen in 3-4 weeks, and we have very rarely seen any side effects. Over 90% of our clients see improvement in their pets, even in older animals. This product is also safe with other medications. Most clients’ request continued treatment with this product and it works for most any condition!"

Tinned fish helped my mum's dog, so if you can't find cod-liver oil, tuna is fine.

Thanks guys
just don't want him getting old and rickety before his time, i'll look into all of these and see how he goes

hi it might just be cramp try giving him tinned chopped tomatoes two to three table spoons in his main meal every day see how it goes