Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Please help the Spanish Galgos.

Hi everyone,

You may already know about the problem in Spain regarding the inhumane treatment of their galgos. (That's a Spanish greyhound). The dogs are used for hunting there, and at the end of the hunting season they are killed in various ways, a favorite being hanging from a tree. For many years I and many other concerned people have been campaigning for an end to this terrible practice. You may have heard of Anne Finch who, along with her late husband Arthur, started Greyhounds in Need and is a tireless campaigner for the galgos.

I am writing this to you now to ask you to spare just a few minutes of your time to go to
this website and print off the letter there and send it to the address given.

At the bottom of the page is an English version of the letter just so that you can see what it says but don't send that, just send the spanish text. Please add your name and address including postcode and country and sign the letter. All it will cost you is the price of an airmail stamp but it might make the difference between life and a horrible death for a poor spanish greyhound.

Can I also ask you to pass on this information to all your friends, your contacts on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, everyone and everywhere you can think of; this terrible cruelty in Spain must end.

Finally, I got this request from my contact Helen who runs the SWAP team. (That stands for South West Animal Protection). She is the one who sent out the request for votes for GRF when we were trying to win the RBS copetition; she has a contact list of thousands and if only 10% of them voted for GRF it is what secured our win with such a large majority. Please repay the favour by helping her and myself, and of course the spanish greyhounds with this. Here is the link again. And thank you.

John.

Re: Please help the Spanish Galgos.

A few months ago I bought the book by Beryl Brennan "From Heaven to Hell" and I wrote a few letters to The Polish Members of the European Parliament asking for their support to help sort out this problem but as most of you know politicians care about the voter only before elections promising miracles but doing little or nothing afterwards. Such cruelty to animals should not be taking place in the 21st century in civilised Europe. That is so disgraceful and abhorrent...

We're writing in John.
Celia and Jimmy.

Hi, I hope you don't mind me posting as I am only a visitor to your site. My dogs are rescues but not from GRF. Just to say that folks shouldn't be put off sending the letter if they don't have a printer. It took me about 45 minutes to handwrite it and I don't know Spanish. It's worth the effort if it goes towards saving a galgo. We are so lucky here to have people like Mr and Mrs Fernie and their helpers, what they do for the greyhounds is just brilliant.

Anne

Have you ever heard of such dedication from anyone like Anne in the post above What a wonderful person she must be. If anyone hasn't yet made the effort to respond to this post then please read again what Anne has taken the trouble to do. Thank you so much Anne.

John.

We totally agree.
Well done Anne.
Celia and Jimmy.

Hi John

It's you and the folks at GRF who are wonderful. I only wrote the letter out because of the unforgettable experience a few years back of finding my present boy lurcher, an ex working dog, wandering dumped and abandoned. He was lame, starved,frightened and in some mess. He didn't even have the strength to run away from me and my dogs. Cruelty like this must be stopped in whatever country, and it's worse for the galgos.

Our big boy is now a much loved family pet and is presently working again as a role model for our young Kelpie (wee Australian collie). She came to us with behavioural problems and is learning a lot from his calm and gentle ways.

Best wishes
Anne

WILL SEND AIRMAIL LETTER TO-MORROW . GOOD LUCK

I will do the same tomorrow...

Sent 2 letters this morning from the McCurdy family
Come on GRF supporters lets help these sighthounds in Spain

Just can't believe how cruel 'human' beings can be to animals, of any sort, in any country ....... it beggars belief, and is very upsetting for animal lovers.

Will definitely print off the letter and get it posted.

It is easy to shy away from these things, but only by bringing it to the fore and acknowledging that such dreadful things DO happen, do we have any hope of stopping such practices.

Susan.

I have sent the letter today.

Hi John

We sent the letter off yesterday. We also support Greyhounds in Need (founded by Anne Finch) by sponsoring a galgo destined for rehoming in the UK The work they do for Galgos and Greyhounds is really tremendous.

Printed off and sending tomorrow. Cannot bear to discuss this - I saw images years ago and it still churns my stomach. It feels so good that someone has the know-how to start a real campaign for these poor creatures, and really glad to help even in such a small way. They deserve all the luck there is.

How can I get the link onto my facebook page?

Jenni, I don't know anything about Facebook but this is the URL of the website where the letter is hosted.

http://www.galgonews.com/2012/01/i-have-now-composed-a-letter-to-the-hunting-federation-in-spain-and-invite-you-to-send-copies-also-my-thanks-to-cristina-fe.html

If you copy and paste that into wherever you do it on Facebook I'm sure that will work for you. Thank you very much for your interest.

John.

Hi John

Have posted a letter off today, and also copied and pasted the link onto my facebook page.

Best of luck

xjenni