Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Further info??

Hi!

Can any volunteers, workers, trainers, or Celia and jimmy help me??

Eddie has a sore wrist he keeps limping every now and then. He can walk it off but I can see it getting worse from time to time. I know from the Internet that he was retired because of a wrist injury... Can anyone tell me what wrist and exactly what happened? It would help me get the right vet treatment for my boy with (hopefully) no X-rays!

His trainer was Graham Hutt... Edie go Honda or Go Edie Honda.

Any help or information welcome!

Jen, hop-along and Wisp

Re: Further info??

Hi
My dog Guinness had a similar problem. It turned out he had osteoarthritis due to the pressure regular racing put on his joints. We found it hard to get this diagnosis however as we took him for an X ray an at first the vet thought his wrist was broken and he was in a cast he didn't need for 3 weeks! try carrying a dog the hight of a washing machine out to the toilet every few hours. Anyway it turned out that racing had badly damaged his joints but the vet prescribed Rimadyl which he only gets when he is sore 'cos he's to young to take them every day and he is now rarely bothered by limping and he can walk as long as any other dog his age.
I hope this helps, but again hopefully Eddy doesn't have anything to serious. you could try cod liver oil and devils claw ( a naturally anti inflammatory ) if you don't want to go down the medical route just yet.

Re: Further info??

Hi Jennifer

Eddie raced as Go Eddie Honda, in his last race at bellevue he took a bump and was knocked over, i don't know which wrist he hurt but my advice would be to check a few things over then take him to the vet. Wrist injuries when they happen are usually recurring but unless eddie has been running free and off a lead it's unlikely to be a re-occurance of the race injury, more likely he's given himself a knock or has a little athritis.

Is it really his wrist which is giving him bother? Slip a muzzle on him and gently fold his leg (under the knee) back inwardly as far as he will let you, don't put too much pressure on it as if it is his wrist he'll tell you about it.

If you don't get a reaction then check his pads for corns, i had one that was meant to have a bad wrist and it was a corn with an abscess he was more lame on harder ground than on the grass.

You should still get him checked by the vet as lameness can be many things some of which are easily treatable without taking out a new mortgage to pay the vet fees.

let me know how he gets on

liz