Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dentist!!!OMG!!

Hi,
Has anyone else taken their dog for a scale n polish?? just been quoted a rough estimate of £200!!Am going to have to invest in a red lightbulb!! Or does anyone know when the next ship is due in??lol!!
The good thing is that the vet said it wouldnt be so drastic next time if Susie allows me to brush her teeth,oh no,I need advice on how to do this act!!
Susie has also discovered the sofa when we go to bed then sneaking off when she hears us get up in the morning,cheeky munchkin!!
Love Jackie n Susie

Re: dentist!!!OMG!!

Jackie - my dog has terrible teeth. she's also a bleeder, so any extractions are fairly traumatic and expensive. She will not let us brush her teeth. The vet has advised us to use Dentisept. You only have to put two small blobs on her teeth, she licks it around her mouth herself. It is working a treat. Her teeth are still clean after the polish that she had in March. We now buy the toothpast online. It's much cheaper.

Our two got their scale/polish for less than £200 for both of them; shop around!

Hi Jackie
Have been trying to introduce Tiger to some lovely liver flavoured toothpaste myself - in an attempt to clean his teeth and freshen his breath a bit! Not made much of an impression as yet! So have given him a chew in the meantime till we see if we can make any progress. I'll persevere now anyway after reading the quote you were given.
I remember meeting you in the car park and have been reading how Susie has been getting on too. As it says on the t-shirt - gained a greyhound, lost a couch!
Tracey

I am not sure if it works but I have heard that it is good to give dogs marrow bones (raw ones) to chew...It sounds sensible anyway like a natural way to self-prevent forming tartar on dogs' teeth. I do not think it will work for old dogs who sometimes have wobbly teeth...If it works after a few weeks you should see a big difference and then carry on from time to time.
Anyway the picture of a dog chewing on marrow bones does not seem to be fabricated. It comes from the reality in the past. I myself have some memories from my childhood to have seen many dogs chewing on bones...They did use them as toys, not eating them(I mean the big and hard ones). Nowadays attitudes are different...Is it good or not? That is the question...

Thanks guys for the advice,will shop around for better price,gave Susie one of those Jumbones yesterday in an attempt to leave her at home for an hour so I could attend Katies shared finish,thought it would last her days but she ate the lot!! at least I think she has because I cant find it anywhere!!
Can you teach greyhounds tricks?? Been trying to do"give me paw" using small treat as bribe but with not much luck,biggest trick I can manage is to try and get her out the door at night by trying to lift her from her bed as she goes dead weight and refuses to move!!lol!!
Love Jackie n Susie

Try roasted bones, the dog will love them plus they scale and polish the teeth at the same time. Our dog Stacey had awful tarter/plaque on most of her teeth and we tried this after it had been recommended to us by someone on the forum and bingo it worked.
The grinding noise she makes when eagerly chewing her bone can get a little annoying but it is far cheaper than a scale and polish!
Stacey also gets given a dentistix after her evening walk as a treat. We find that this keeps her teeth healthy.

Hi Jackie,

Bootsie was like that at night when we first got him - wouldn't budge for his last walk of the day. Mo started putting a little peanut butter on her finger, and he was out of his bed like a shot !!!!! Now he is absolutely fine, and doesn't even need the bribe :-) Worth a try.

Susan & Bootsie x

mmmmmmm peanut butter,even I would get up for that!!lol!!will buy a jar asap but that is going to be temptation to me!!

Sorry!

Should have said, we always buy the smooth one ...

Luckily, I hate the stuff :-)

Good luck x

We only paid about £120 to get Ace's teeth done, and that included an extraction. He gets a dentastik every day, and also gets pigs ears regularly. He wouldn't let us clean his teeth either.

As for teaching tricks, Ace very quickly learnt to give us his paw for a treat, and has also learned to wait white Pat puts little biscuits all up his front legs and won't take them till he is told to. We have tried balancing one on his nose but that is too much of a temptation for him. Keep persevering with the "give a paw".

And shop around for the teeth cleaning, £200 sounds a lot to me.

Kaz and Pat Brundell and Ace

My vet quoted me £100 for Wisp to get her gnashers done. Eddie is going to be £240 but that's for an extraction. That's the cheapest I've found and I've shopped about!

I've been taking wisp to dog training classes... So far she can do stand and "don't eat the small dogs"! Which is really an improvement. I don't think greyhounds sit. If I ask wisp to dance with me she jumps up and shuffles if that counts?

They do say you can't teach an old dog new tricks and Eddie looks at me like I'm stupid 99.9% of the time so I just leave him to his own business :-)

Food bribes always work!!

thanks to all for advice and Im going to persevere with the "gies a paw"training!!
Going up to see Auntie Celia n Uncle Jimmy on Sunday so might see some of you there!!
Love Jackie n Susie xxx

Omg right enough lol my two Pancho and Missy will be getting booked in very soon, halitosis is awsome lol Think there will be extractions required (Doggy dentures??) beeen giving dentastix etc but pweeeww still smelly although a wee bit whiter or should i say a little less pewter hahha.

I am going to try claiming through my insurance as it does cover dental, so fingers crossed, vetrica here we come!!!. smelly kisses are not nice lol.

Speak soon all
Mary

Hi everybody!!
Took Susie up to see Auntie Celia n Uncle Jimmy yesterday,let her out in the runs and boy,did she fly!!Dont know who was more tired by the end of the session!
Looking forward to meeting you all in October at the Dunfermline walk.
Love Jackie n Susie