Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Insomniac Hound

Hi,

I have had my hound about 18months now and he goes through spells of waking during the night between 2-5 and he woofs the house down till he gets out to see to his needs. He then comes in and goes straight back to sleep. The times vary and he can go weeks without doing it and likewise go weeks of doing it every night. Has any one else had this experience and how did they resolve it?

Many thanks Daniel and Jet

Re: Insomniac Hound

Hi Daniel.
My partner has had hounds for 25years, and hasn't had this problem. I am sure you have thought of his feeding times, but we feed our dogs approx 7pm. We feed breakfast approx 8.30am. They are walked morning, noon, evening, and night.
Does your dog have bother when he is going to the toilet? Have you seen if it is constipated or loose?
Hmm how frustrating for you. Routine is the key for dogs, but i am sure you are aware of this. Have you asked your vet?
I hope you get this sorted as it must be upsetting.. Good luck with this, i hope you get a result. From Fiona x

Thanks Fiona, thought it might be the food so started lifting any leftovers earlier, didn't work. Took him for late night walks for awhile still no effect from that. His poo's have been fine.Its the way that he can go weeks with out doing it then suddenly he's back in the habit, he doesn't even like going out in the cold during day but will still go out in freezing night which confuses me. If he could just hold on till about 6 my needs sleep would be much better LOL!

Goodness me.. How odd. I have never heard of this type of behaviour before, as you say, being so 'on and off'? Yes i definitely would not leave food down. On the nights that he gets you up, have you given him a different flavoured food for tea, that maybe he is sensitive to? And on these nights how many nights at a time does the habit last? Is he a 'cold crater'? I am a nurse, and the old folk i used to care for were far less likely to get up for a pee or wet the bed, if they were cosy. Could it be the temperature of the house/room, as that time in the morning is usually the coldest? I had an old boxer once, and i used to put a jumper on her overnight. It made a huge difference.
Have you phoned Celia/Jimmy? They have had so many hounds. They will maybe have an answer?
From Fiona x

We have a hound Billy that has spells of wanting/needing to go out at a rather unsociable hour. Fingers crossed he hasn't been like that for a while. We had him checked out for a urine infection but that came back clear. As it's only him not Goldie or Toby we don't have a clue why. I hope you have some success.

Michele

Thanks guys doesn't seem to be the cold last winter I got him a lighter coat to wear during night because my house can get quite cool at night during winter, but didnt seem to have any effect other than he wouldnt let me take off in the morning lol. Michelle did you do anything to stop your hound doing it?My pals hound sometimes does the same trotting about the house in the wee hours but hers doesn't woof to get out so doesn't wake the house. I haven't phoned them but me and my pal are planning on going on the next walk so hopefully someone there may know, Thanks for the help.

Hi Daniel,
Sometimes the most simple works.
Take away the water dish at 6pm.
Feed just before you go to bed, then outside for a few minutes and see what happens overnight.
Of course if all fails get a check from a vet.
Very best of luck.
Jimmy.

Thanks Jimmy, I also have two other dogs so i'm a bit loathe to take away the water. I think i'll get him to the vet to check him out mite just be something I have to live with after 6 1/2 years in kennels maybe its just his routine to go for a wander.

The fact that he wants to go out at night, even if it's cold might suggest something other than feeding or watering habits. Maybe an instinctive need to protect his environment. Maybe he haers something outside and wants to investigate. I know greyhounds aren't usually interested in being a guard dog but there might be a bit of that somewhere inside. Perhaps he hears night time animals scuffling about outside.

daniel, i have four in the house and two of them have always done this (they are now 11 and 12 years old) there's nothing physically wrong with them they just wake up and want out,

for a while i thought they heard the foxes and cats outside or that the bitches down the road were in season but now i think they just like to interrupt my sleep, now i just get up let them out then let them back in a few minutes later, i make them all go out at the same time or i'd be up and down all night.

if it's any consolation you do get used to it and half the time your sleep walking anyway so go right back to sleep when you get back to bed

Daniel,
our Zak did this for a while until we discovered he was cold, central heating off about 11pm, house cool by 2am!!got him a pair of PJ's and never woken since, you will find pj's on ebay or through the web. He only needs the pj's between about November and March

hi phil, thanks he seems to be better from bring his food times right forward although he does get cold in the winter he has a fleece jacket that he wears in winter during night already. Pajamas and night jackets for dog's only greyhounds would get this spoiled!