Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re photos

Hi
With photo bucket it is the bottom of the 4 options it gives you on the right of the page ( img code ) just click on this and it copies it for you then you can just paste this into your GRF post, preview the message to make sure, it can be a bit temperamental !
ann

Re: Bad news from the vet about Grace

there you go;

Re: Re photos

Thanks Ann

trying again

Hugs Katrine and Grace

LOL Steve
We must have been posting at the same time

Don't know how you did it, but I ended up having to pick other photos because a few of them were missing Grace's head!!!

Thanks so much for your help

Hugs Katrine and Grace

Hi Katrine

Just to say will be thinking about you and Grace tomorrow. Hope everything goes well.

The photos are great!! She looks a very happy hound!!

Let us know how things go.

Sending lots of love.

Elaine, Steve, Lucy, Lama & Poppy xxxx

Hi Katrine and Grace

Beautiful pictures of a special dog. All the very best for tomorrow - will be thinking about you both.

Anne
x

Just saw the photos of Grace,she is a beauty!! Sending you both loving thoughts for the morn and will be thinking about you both all the day through.
Jackie n Susie xx

Hi Katrine,

I totally understand - will hopefully meet up soon :-)

Moira, Bootsie & I will be thinking about you & Grace tomorrow.

Love & hugs,
Susan xxx

Katrine & Grace,
We have been following your post about your wonderful bond that you have with each other.
You are such a wonderful person to stick by Grace even though you have just adopted her and to find out that she has a heart problem. We were lucky not to have had the same situation with our two Billy and Lassie although we have had our moments especially with Billy.

Greyhounds do have large hearts so hopefully that will guide her through her operation tomorrow safety. Then you will have the chance to enjoy Grace to her fullness in the near future that you both deserve.

You will be in our thoughts tomorrow in Clydebank and we will all have our fingers and paws crossed for you both for a positive outcome.

That's the most crossed Billy and Lassie can get them on here!!!
George & Morag

Hi Katrine.

I have good hopes for tomorrow. As I Hinted to previously, given the fact that her heart condition is identified and diagnosed means the necessary precautions will be taken and the vet team will be on extra alert.

Nevertheless it is a difficult moment. My advise is to not try to be to stressed and nervous tomorrow. Grace is likely to pick up on your emotions, so try to be as normal as possible. Then she will remain calm as well.

I don't think the vet will let anything happen to her.

WAITING WAITING WAITING

It's three hours since I dropped Grace at the vets, Heavens the house is so empty and quiet. This is going to be a very long day. Praying my little angel is ok

Sorry I haven't answered the messages from last night, I didn't get back online last night, spent all my time with Grace. She had a fun evening and a good night. She was calm this morning, apart from being horrified that I was getting her up so early - in fact, she kept sneaking back to bed

She seemed ok when we arrived at the vets, but a look of panic came into her eyes as the nurse started leading her away. I did get time to give her a last kiss and cuddle, and told her how much a loved her. By the time she disappeared through the door, I couldn't even speak.

What a long day!
Hugs Katrine and Grace

Hi Katrine, you are in all our thoughts today - we are all willing Grace through .....

It is a HORRIBLE feeling leaving your precious pet at the vet's, and I really do feel for you. It will be a long day - have been checking the forum, off and on, to see if there is any news.

Stay strong ....

Love & hugs,
Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxx

Hope everything has gone well today for you and Grace

Thinking of you

Kaz and Pat Brundell and a hug from Ace

Morning Katrine,

Keep popping on here to see if there's any news about Grace. We all have everything crossed that her op has gone well & she's back home with you again.

Thinking of you & Grace . . . all the time

Katrine,

I'm hoping no news = good news!

I've been on here all night and morning looking for news.
Hope you and Grace are ok and just having a long lay!!

Jen Eddie and Wisp

In my experience that is a very unusual reaction for a greyhound to have to surgery. In the absence of a buster collar use the muzzle that you got when you got her - it's not the ideal solution but it will help stop her pulling her stitches out. It sounds like Grace is very highly strung and so it is particularly important that you try to remain strong, calm and controlled. Greyhounds are very sensitive dogs and will pick up on any fear or anxiety that you show, so the last thing Grace needs is to pick up on your emotions as it will reinforce her own upset.

If she has damaged the stitches then you need to get her restitched as soon as possible. If you feel unable to take her to the vets they may offer a house visit - it might depend on the practice whether they'll do this or not.

Well, Katrine, did you expect to get a cheerful dog back home after the operation? Did they really not give ANY pain killers for Grace yesterday? I can not believe that. I think you have gone over the top saying that. Steroids are not advised in any heart issues and you should know about it. Before putting such a critical post in public you should have waited a bit longer to see how the things are going. I know that we love our pets but sometimes having a bit of common sense in such situations would be advisable.
You can not defame anyone because something has not met your "personal" expectations. Let the dog recover, giving her some more time.
I understand that sometimes we might be worried or not happy but getting this public is highly exaggerated.
SHE HAS HAD AN OPERATION, THAT WAS NOT FUN! YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT INTO ACCOUNT.

Our Jess was spayed at Vetrica also and I can only say they did a good job. She did get painkillers to take home with her. First two days I would say she was in pain and a bit tender. I did feel really guilty. Stan is right sometimes we do not realize that it is a big operation and they are in pain like anybody would be after any operation. I was certainly not prepared very well and as I say I was feeling horrible.
Jess did not eat much either but the third day she was much better and within a week she was back to normal so I would wait a bit longer. I was constantly with her so I did not give her a chance to lick her wound or pull the stitches.

She will perk up soon.

Monika

Hi Steve
Thanks for your reply. I've never had a greyhound before, but have had all my previous bitches spayed, and none of them re-acted like Grace has. It was terrible seeing her so distressed and not being able to help her.
I did try her muzzle for a short time, but when she continued vomiting it seemed to dangerous in case she aspirated.
I managed to get a taxi driver to pick up an elizabeathan collar for her today, so hopefully that'll stop her going for the wound.
She's being re-assessed tomorrow, rather than thursday, by the vet. To my eye, it seems like only surface damage has been done so far, and hopefully we can keep it like that.
Hugs Katrine and Grace

Hi Stan
No I didn't expect to get a cheerful dog home. I expected to get a dog home in pretty much the same coondition that all my previous bitches were after being spayed. I really did NOT get any pain meds for administration yesterday.
I posted an honest and accurate account of Grace's condition, I did not lie or exaggerate.
Obviously my post (which has now been deleted) has caused offense. That was not my intention. My only intention was to give an accurate update of Grace's condition, and that is what I did.
Regarding my position on pain releif and discharge without an elizabethan collar, I can only say that it would have been much better to have something that may not be required, than to desperately need something that you don't have.
Hugs Katrine and Grace

Hi Monica
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear Jess had a hard time too.
I am, as I said very grateful that Grace's came through the op despite her heart condition, and that is thanks to Vetrica.
But having nursed lot's of bitches following spaying, I did not expect the level of pain and distress Grace experienced.
Grace's wound first started opening when she tried to empty her bowels. Once that happened she was relentless in trying to reach the wound. I stayed up with her the entire night, but when my own muscles started ripping she did then managed to reach the wound - she was just too strong for me. We now have a collar to prevent any further damage.
Hope she starts to pick up soon, and that she has a much calmer night.
Hugs Katrine and Grace

Hope Grace is feeling better
Sorry she has had a bad time of it
I got both girls spayed the same day , came home with pain killers and they did not appear bothered by the operation wounds.
They are both a bit a drama queens when it comes to stubbing their toes
Bolt my boy can be the same. Greyhounds are different form other dogs I have had before

Mags

Hi Katrine,
Sorry to hear that Grace had a bad time of it, I didnt read your original post as it was taken off before I got online today.
Susie was also spayed at Vetrica and was very sore for a few days,came home with two day supply of painkillers which I wrapped in ham for her to eat and the only thing I was concerned about was they didnt ask me to bring her in for a check up afterwards. Didnt get one o them collar things either but then I didnt need one as Susie didnt bother much about the wound and licked it pretty much clean the same night.
Grace will take time to recover and she will be back to herself in no time.
Take care of yourself and Grace.
Love Jackie n Susie

Hi Katrine,
Sorry about my harsh post but the vet, so appreciated by many greyhound owners and offering help and advice with such a big discount to all the greyhounds coming to (from) GRF, did not "deserve" such bad publicity. I have personally seen many times bitches recovering after being spayed in much worse kennel conditions, and all of them recovered after 2-3 days (fully after a week). I have never seen them wearing preventive collars either. Celia or Jimmy, I suppose, can tell you how many bitches have professionaly been spayed by this vet so far...I reckon about 200 if not more...
We need to be very cautious about spreading bad opinions (especially on the internet) because they can be detrimental to the people who do not deserve it...

Hi Katrine and everyone else.

Lets not forget the big picture here, (on a wall somewhere to be revealed one day...) Grace has made it through the operation and by all counts it sounds like she will get back to her usual self.

Tula has had several operations at the vet. Three times for objects in her paw, Teeth cleaned and removed and the spaying combined with removal of three cysts under her nipples. She felt very sorry for herself for a few days after. And she did not eat much for about 2-3 days, but she did drink a lot.

Don't worry if she don't want much, or any, food as long as she takes in liquid. She will eat when she feels better and gets hungry. As was said in a previous post, Greyhounds are different to other dogs. I.E. They are hyper sensitive to pain, not to mention discomfort, she will be a bit "reduced" for a few days.

Keep an eye on her and make sure she is OK and comfortable, but don't over pamper her as she will keep expecting this after she has recovered.

The main thing is that she did well with the surgery, so should be much better in a few days, but probably a couple of months to fully recover, just like any humans for that matter.

I did not mean that you would not stay up with her and nursed her, of course you would and I know how hard it is, what I was meaning since I am at home anyway it was not difficult for me to watch her, just my husband had to do the shopping. She was not that bad to be honest, simple "no" usually was enough.You just have one of those dogs who do lick.
Hope she is better tonight and continue her recovery well.

Hi Katrine,
I was very disappointed with your posting regarding our vet. It is a public forum which should never be used to attack and name people. The vet could even take a damages action against such a posting. I removed it the moment I read it.
Just to add a few points, I must point out that the vet gave you an excellent deal on the spaying. You remember that we very happily, freely delivered Grace to you yesterday from the vet. Naturally curious, we looked at the wound and commented on how neat a job the vet had done. We gave Grace to you and told you that she'd been given a painkilling injection yesterday and certainly gave you enough CARBUPROFEN, a very expensive drug which is used for the relief of pain, to last the next two days. Your suggestion of adding Metacam would be a serious mistake and might cause sickness.
You will have noted that various people on the forum have gone through the same procedures with their dogs and three days later the dogs are much better. I told you more than once that she would take three days to recover. Having had about 300 greyhound bitches spayed by my vet I've a pretty good idea of what happens.
The reason a greyhound tends not to get an Elizabethan collar is because the long snout can reach through it. I have rarely seen one on after spaying. The muzzle would seem a better idea though they can rub against the wound with it.
I personally am thankful that Grace was spayed by an excellent vet who very carefully monitored the operation throughout and I truly hope that she will fully recover very soon. I consider your comments against him unacceptable on an open forum. If you have such a complaint, the forum is not the place to air it.
Jimmy.

Agree with Greg and Nicolai,
Susie didnt eat much the night she came home either and again the day after but as never have had a dog before I didnt know what to expect except I tried to think back to how I was after I had my daughter and put myself in her paws. Natuarally I called Jimmy n Celia who were and are a well of knowledge and put my mind at rest,the vet also said to phone if I had any queries,which I did,think I am more a drama queen than any greyhound,lol!!they were very patient with me as I cried down the phone but again were brilliant with both myself and Susie.
And Greg and Nicolai, I know I never knew you or your beautiful dogs but think about you all and how your getting on,I know the pain will never go away but will fade a bit,all our hugs n sloppy dog kisses to you three!!
This forum has been a brilliant place to be able to get much needed advice and help at any time to all who own these fab hounds.
And on another note,finished the first greyhound hat,its been down in soft grey with a black greyhound on it,will bring it on Sunday for you all to see and hopefully sell,Jimmy,yours is nearly finished too!!
Love to all Jackie n Susie

Hi Grace.

I hope you are well and that Grace is recovering ok.

I never got a chance to read to read the post that seemed to have upset a couple of people. And you know what? I do not care. I have a good idea of what you are going through and I know how easy it is to write something in anger that you might regret later. I have done this many times myself.

As far as I am concerned, the only thing that really matters here is your love and bonding with Grace. I have no doubt that you make a great "Mum" for her. The pics speaks for itself.

So I just wanted to say that I am thinking of the two of you and I hope you are both doing well. Please keep posting updates about Grace. As you have seen, there is a lot of people wising you all well.

1 2