Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Susie 2 months on

Hiya!,
Thought we would give you an update on oor Susie! Cant believe she has been with us two months,feels like she has always been with us!
Had a great time at the greyhound walk then took her down to Ravenscraig Park where she enjoyed an ice cream and a lovely walk along to the harbour.
She follows me around the house,Jimmy says its love,not up the stairs though since she fell down them three days into being here,but if Im cleaning the bathroom out then she will creep up and I know that when I leave her in the house(managed an hour)then she will go and lie at the top of the stairs as there is a hell of a racket when I open the front door again!!
Need advice,with the dreaded firework season nearly upon us,what should we do to keep her going mad in the house when the rockets are going off?? I leave the radio on every night for her when we go to bed so should I try and put it up a little louder every night?? I know you can get plug ins that release happy smells but OMG £30!!
Also thinking of making her pjs for the colder nights,any help as to how?? thought about an old sweater and velcro belt??
Looking forward to the next walk in November!!
Love Jackie n Susie xx

Re: Susie 2 months on

Hya
My Pancho and Missy have the ideal way to keep warm in the colder nights they both join me in bed wee monkeys, I was lying in the fetal position last night , no room at the inn!!! on the plus side Pancho lay longer and I was cosy as well.
Take care
Mary Pancho and Missy

Good to hear she's settling in well. Here are a few answers for you;

Fireworks. All greyhounds are different in the way they react to fireworks. Taking our three for example, Lucy is terrified and hides in a corner and shakes when she hears (or senses) them, Kell isn't too bothered unless he picks up on Lucy being scared and Boss completely ignores them and will quite happily wander around the garden with them going off. For Lucy having the TV on, even quite loudly, makes no difference to her at all. She's the same with thunder. There are various ways of dealing with firework related stress (DAP diffusers, training fireworks CDs, thunder coats etc), but until you know how she is going to react I'm not sure that I would bother as you may not need to do anything. In your position I would just make sure that you are about the first time the fireworks go off so you can see how she copes.

Doggy pyjamas. If you search on eBay you'll find pyjamas to suit a greyhound, or you could get a kennel coat which is basically a light fleece greyhound coat. You could probably make one yourself using a coat as a template. If you don't already have a coat for her then you can get a very good quality, warm waterproof one from the kennels.

thanks Steve for the advice,you are right about the fireworks,I shouldnt worry too much until I see how she will react,we had a thunderstorm about 3 weeks ago at 430am and I was terrified! Thought Susie would have been up the stairs double quick and into bed with us but no,didnt hear a peep from her and it was really loud.
Going to look online for pjs for Susie or even to get an idea on how they fit and maybe DIY it!!
Best wishes
Jackie n Susie

Hiya Mary!!
Dont think hubby would be too happy at Susie in bed with us,she farts slightly worse than him,then again,at least Susie wouldnt turn round and say"can you smell that??"lol!!
Going to go online to look at PJs for her and as I said to Steve,might DIY a pair!! Think purple is so Susies colour!
Hope to catch u at the next walk at Beveridge Park!!
Love Jackie n Susie

If she was fine during a thunder storm I think she'll be fine with fireworks.

For greyhound pyjamas there's a huge choice on eBay - linky

Made my day Jackie LOL the farting is a bit whiffy here too lol
See you on the walk
Mary

Hi Mary,
Ive tried burnt toast and charcoal biscuits to no end,weel,only a smelly end!!
Mind and come up to us at the walk,we will be easy to spot,our Katie is 8 years old with a loud voice commenting on all the dogs having a pee or poo!!lol!
Love Jackie n Susie

Hi,
Just give your greyhound a spooful of natural yoghurt once a day after its main meal. It should help for flatulence (farting).

Thanks for that tip,does it work on husbands as well??lol!

I do not know...I do not have a husband Worthy of trying anyway

Lol!! Susie heard her first fireworks last night and.......nowt! The fireworks were not really loud and she was watching Strictly so so far so good,we get a lot of fireworks here,wish the shops wouldnt sell them.
Had her flea treatment last night as well.
Susie is following me around the house except upstairs,then she lies at the bottom of the stairs waiting for me,indifferent to my hubby and Katie,Mike said Susie whined and moped round the house after I went to work yesterday so I think I will have to go out more often on my own so she isnt completely dependent on me!!
All the best
Jackie n Susie x

The yoghurt definitely worked on Ace when he had a whiffy bottom. He loves the stuff. Only problem was he wanted it every day!!!

Kaz. Pat and Ace

Hi everyone,
Susie caught me off guard twice this week now with the neighbourhood cats!
First one,6am ,Im half asleep walking Susie for pee when she spots cat on topof 6ft fence to which she hurtled across the road and up the fence,dont know if the cat fell off the fence or jumped but the racket on the other side was very loud,so I ran round the house,put Susie in the door and scoped out the back garden but cat had scarpered!
Second time, was walking back from school with friend and her rottie,Roxy,when Susie took off to the right through bushes and trees and up to a wooden fence with me in tow after a cat ,who sat on top of the fence spitting n scowling at us.My friend didnt know whether to laugh or ask if we were ok as all she could see was me with my arm in a bush!!
Anyway,need advice yet again.....this taking Susie out in the morning for a pee,friends say I should train her to go in the back garden rather than gear up at that time in the morning and go out in the streets,especially its very dark and will soon be icy,so have suggested a pee post(£7.70)from Pets At Home.
Can I retrain Susie to go in the back garden as she spent a good few hours on Sunday there then peed outside in the street,after only 9weeks with us doing the morning routine can she do it in the back garden???
HELP!!!
Love Jackie n Susie

Jackie, for goodness sake YES, keep her in the garden and when you do take her out for a walk PLEASE, keep her on a short lead AT ALL TIMES.

John.

Hi jackie
lol sorry to laugh, Pancho and missy are same with cats and there are a few in my street.
i watch for the ears going up and shorten leads right away, this gives me more leverage with them and they cannot get into stride.

I am also out about 6.50am for first pee etc and half asleep and am sure the cats wait for us however watch for the signs i.e ears up, and taking more interest than usual about surroundings, i,ve also noticed they go very slow , into stalking mode so this gives me an indication that there is prey about.. if the lead is shortened they do not have the same power and are easier to handle.
Hope this helps
Mary

Thanks for the advice,I do keep her on a short leash but at 8stone and on wet mud she had the leverage over me,Im usually alert to cats,other dogs,broken glass etc,taking her out in the garden the morns morning!! Never had a dog before so dont know if Im ever doing the right thing or not!!

I still profess that there is no greyhound who is as bad as my Eddie who literally turns into a biting leash ballerina when he see's a cat. He has particular jip for ginger cats for some reason.

Unfortunately, when I shorten his leash and he turns to bite it he catches me instead!!!

I used to do that - up at 5 for me as Wisp can't hold her water. It was getting ridiculous so I now let them out in the garden. As long as your garden is all fenced in she will be fine.

You need to be more assertive with her... I find Eddie starts shaking with adrenaline and a quick pinch of his neck (not sore) distracts him enough to get his attention away from the cat before he hits full frontal biting ballerina mode.

Unfortunately - they've been trained an praised their whole lives to chase things like cats and we are now telling them its wrong - I feel sorry for them slightly!

Good luck!!

Jen Wisp and the biting ballerina xx

Don't forget about the muzzle that you were given when you got suzie, if there is any risk of her actually coming into contact with a cat, the muzzle will at least prevent a full frontal chomp! The dogs are all used to wearing them.

Thanks guys for all the advice,I honestly do keep her on a short leash,my emergency stop is actually flinging myself to the ground using my full body weight of 8 stone to stop her in her tracks,these two occasions I was the one distracted!!
took her out this morning in the garden...result!! one wee gravy bone and heaps of praise!!
Hope to see you all on the walk next Sunday,please come up and speak to us as am quite shy!!
Love Jackie n Susie

Nice to see Susie at the walk today, even though she was wearing an "I Need A Home" jacket.

For anyone else considering rehoming a retired greyhound (or any other dog for that matter) please consider these three words;

LONG TERM COMMITMENT

Well said Steve
Kaz, Pat and Ace x

You have another example of people's responsibility...Sorry I should say a lack of responsibility...Big words, lots of excitement and no meaning in it... That is for those on the forum who find me "coldhearted" but I hope at least a bit responsible...So far... Having read the whole thread and others posts on Susie the only thought entering my head at the moment is: "Keep yourself down to earth".