Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Constipation

Hi all,

Wisp is quiet constipated :( I give her a cod liver oil capsule every day to try and ease things off but this hasn't worked so far!

Any ideas?

Re: Constipation

You could try adding fibre - allbran or bran It's self
Does she like vegetables ?
My friend 's dog was nuts about carrots
Mags

One of the best ways to deal with constipation is to prevent it. A very healthy and easy way to do that is to incorporate pumpkin into your pet's food. Yes, that's right - I said PUMPKIN. The simple fact is that pumpkin is a great source of fiber and has a high water content. Both of which contribute to keeping your pet's bowl movements regular. You'll want to make sure that you use the pureed canned pumpkin, or you can puree your own using a fresh pumpkin. Either way however don't buy pumpkin pie filling by mistake; it's definitely not the same thing. The following scale will help you determine how much you should mix into every meal.

Pets who weigh less than 15 pounds = 1 - 2 teaspoons
Pets who weigh 15 - 35 pounds = 1 - 2 tablespoons
Pets who weigh 35 pounds and up = 2 - 5 tablespoons depending on size

The above is an extract taken from http://www.earthclinic.com/pets/constipation
As I posted in the "Hair Loss" section this website is quite a handy reference for tips and remedies - some will work some might not - you choose.

jennifer often giving them a good drink of full fat milk loosens them up then you can look at wisps diet to see if there's anything that needs to be addressed.