Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm a forever dog

Hi all,

This is just a message to expres sadness and I suppose disappointment about dogs being rehomed, and then all to often brought back to the kennels because their new adoptive family can't provide that "forever home" the dog longs for.

I understand that often people's circumstances change, however all aspects of your life should be taken into consideration before getting a dog. A dog is for life, not until you find a new job or get extra hours, have a baby, split from a partner, move home etc. all these possibilities should be taken into consideration before you adopt a greyhound.

They are affectionate, loyal and trustworthy dogs... You should only adopt a dog when you are willing to provide these attributes to the dog FOREVER.

If you can't cope with: the occasional pillow being chewed, sharing your sofa/bed, going out when it's raining, getting up early for the morning pee, the first few nights where the dog is unfamiliar with its surroundings, the dog being anxious when you leave it, nursing the dog when it's ill, stopping it from killing the neighbours cat, reconsidering your fancy holidays abroad to relocate to your local caravan park, the dog stealing your nan bread from your freshly ordered Indian... Then it is possible a dog isn't for you...

At the end of the day, when a dog is brought back, it isn't yourself you are letting down or upsetting, it isn't Celia and jimmy, it's the dog who has built a trust with you. And that dog may never trust anyone in the same way again.

So please please consider getting a dog carefully and think of ALL the possibilities and if you are willing to work trough them with your dog. Because I guarantee that if you do, youll get a lot more back in return.

Jen

Re: I'm a forever dog

We TOTALLY agree with every word Jen has said ... these dogs are so loving and trusting, which always amazes us.

Tonight, Bootsie has been terrified of the fireworks ... we have spent the past two hours calming him down, sitting with him, and he is ok again - for the moment. He trusts us - these dogs have HUGE hearts and so, so much love to give.

Susan & Mo.

Couldn't agree more.

It's a sad reflection that we have become a throw away society. You only have to look at the number of failed marriages, or children abandoned or left to grow up with little or no parental guidance to see how utterly selfish some people have become. Too many people are only too ready to give up at the first sign of adversity. What chance have the dogs got with people like these?

If something's broken fix it... Don't throw it away...

Pat and I thought long and hard about Susie when we were at the kennels today. My heart really wanted to take her home as a pal for Ace.

But my head ruled as did Pats. Double the vet fees, double the food and insurance and double the boarding fees if we have to go away suddenly to family down in England.

As much as I would love to have re-homed her, we could not guarantee to be able to afford to give her the home we would want to.

As Steve said in another post - LONG TERM COMMITMENT - and if we could not be sure of being able to offer that to her, it is best she stays where she is and finds a new home which I am sure will not be long away - she sells herself she is such a darling.

Kaz, Pat and Ace

To those choosing to feel they needed to make a comment at this upsetting time for all concerned - this is not Jackie but her husband Mike. I do not normally get upset with peoples views and usually respect them but however as you say ALL possibilities were looked at on this occasion. You have absolutely no idea whatsoever of the circumstances behind my wives reasons for bringing Susie back and how hard it was for her, my daughter and I to do so and how upsetting it was for her to see this undeserved and patronising post no more than a few days after.
So for the people concerned please respect ALL peoples feelings in this matter and not just the dog's and refrain from publicly making assumptions about peoples actions without the full facts.
Michael

Michael - you are right, we do not know the facts - that is why we make the comments we do.

This is the Greyhound Rescue Fife Forum, and we are simply concerned that a dog has been returned two months after it was adopted.

Susan.

As the author of the post I feel the need to respond to your comment.

This post was not aimed at anyone, it was a post to make people aware of the commitment a dog is ad that yes they can get on your nerves occasionally but it should be worked through not a reason to return the dog.

As I do not know the circumstances in which susie was returned I can't comment on your specific situation. HOWEVER I can comment in general on the reasons people have returned dogs and as Stve has said, it's because we live in a throw away society. The post is not in any means patronising and I think you'll probably see similar posts in all dog rescues on the run up to Christmas as people adopt or buy dogs and then realise the commitment.

I'm sorry you felt this was a directed post at yourself and your wife but it was a GENERAL post

You're right of course Mike, we don't have all the facts - just the ones you gave to GRF when you handed Susie back. What a shame you feel patronised, and that this general thread was directed at you and your wife (perhaps it touched a nerve?). At least you can tell us about it. Anyway, seeing as you have chosen to make this post about Susie let's consider her case. Susie spent over two months with you. That's just over a year in dog years. I wonder how she feels right now? She probably can't understand it, and neither can most of us on the forum after reading your stories about how well she was settling in and how much she was loved. A bit disingenuous to say how much you were looking forward to the weekends walk one day and then handing her back the next.

I see from Jackies first post that Susie was your first dog. For the sake of any other dogs (and rescues) I hope she'll be your last. While you reflect on this episode GRF will try to put back the pieces from the damage you caused that dog.

That’s a shame about Susie. I think that it is right you cannot see what comes in the future but dog is a living thing, has feeling as any one of us and even if you have problems, get divorce or what ever you should not give up the dog. I certainly would not consider it. I do see my dogs like my children a bit, they can be a bit naughty (just like our son can be) but we love them the way they are and respect their own personality. I could not live without them and neither our son (I dare to say that even my husband would miss them).

We had a wee emergency with Jess today. She cut her paw on the evening walk, must have been on the stone because I am 100% sure we did not walk over glass so just like with any other ill member of our family, I run to the chemist to get bandage. It was bleeding quite a bit so I took our son to the football training I rushed to Pets at home, got antiseptic and a doggy sock. She is fine now. Feeling sorry for herself a bit.

I know that some people on here find me "coldhearted", with no enthusiasm etc. However I know my situation and also know that I can not have a pet at the moment. I would have never adopted an animal without being sure I can give it the right home and what results from this, the right life. I do know that a pet is not a toy to be thrown away when I get bored. Instead of this I have been trying to help in the way I can. Maybe it is not a lot but it is as much as I can at the moment.
I have never seen in your posts any problems with having Susie, just the opposite! Everyone was so happy! Suddenly the dog has ended up back in the kennels. Are you surprised that the people on the forum reacted to this in this way? Personally I do not think you were so heartbroken to return Susie into the kennels. It takes a long time to heartbroken people to make such a decision. Several days ago Susie was the most fantastic and truly loved dog in your family, a couple days after she landed back at the kennels. Personally I do not know the reasons for which she was returned but I know it would have taken me much more time to make such a hard decision if forced by circumstances. If you have the time and strength to read the forum I dare to say the reason was not a tragedy, at least not a tragedy that comes completely unexpectedly. Sorry if I sound rough again... Apparently I am such a harsh person

I don’t think you are harsh and cold-hearted , you just know your limitations and have principles. You are absolutely right you cannot just throw somebody away when it suits you. I would love to have another dog but simply I cannot afford it, not financially, my house is not that big and I do not think that Floyd would appreciate another addition to the pack. He learned to live with Jess but I would say he would have been just as happy to live on his own.
Just on the side, I am taking her to the vet with her cut, it keeps weeping so at least she will get it properly dressed.

Here we go again! I'm going to try and not bleat on about dogs being returned after any amount of time, although it breaks my heart - Bhan was a perfect example of that - my husband cried his eyes out but I knew we could not have number 4. Far too many others. I've been toying for a while now about writing a wee booklet of the ups and downs of owning a grey - time I actually did it. It's coming up for nearly a year now since we got the lovely Dilly but OMG - she has been, and still is, hard work. She could have been kicked to the kerb dozens of times but she is still here, in her FOREVER home. In the past 3 months vets bills for Mikey have totalled over £450. My old girl Annie got most of her remaining teeth out last Thursday, that, together with blood tests, antibiotics etc etc, has come to nearly another £400. She has been very poorly but now on the road to recovery thank god - she's a tough old bird. So what - we'll just have to tighten the belt elsewhere. There are so many factors to be considered nowadays before embarking on re-homing any animal, it's not always a bed of roses so, if you are not prepared to take the rough with the smooth - don't do it!