Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Year With Jack

It's been almost a year (Ok, 11 months and 7 days) since Jack (Mellison Impact) chose me to be his special human. When Celia and Jimmy first introduced me to Jack, they had said he was kid-friendly, but nervous, but he took to me straightaway and would press up against me and try to lick me though his muzzle when we took our introductory walk.
When I first brought Jack home, he was scared of EVERYTHING outside! He'd just leave to pee and poo within 10m of the flat and want to rush back in, and he'd wake up during the night due to bad dreams, and want me to soothe him back to sleep. (When did some digging I learned more about hHis history in Ireland, and it wasn't nice :() Following the advice of 'Aunt Celia and Uncle Jimmy' and Karen (aka 'Finn's mummy'), I helped Jack overcome his fears by showing him scary scenes on the TV in a controlled way.
Now Jack is a very happy boy and is spoiled totally rotten. He still is amazingly patient with kids, and let a bunch of them pet him when we were outside the Kelvingrove Museum, which had an exhibit on Ancient Egypt (including greyhounds, of course!). He is also a fixture at the local pub, where the bartender sets aside treats in anticipation. Since I started a new job and now frequently work from home, he enjoys the extra snuggle time and park visits. He also likes going to visit my friends, and seems able to detect who needs extra greyhound cuddles and give them attention, even if he does get distracted by the kitchen.
He's also caught my geekiness bug, and will watch TV and movies with me and my girlfriend (although he's scared of the Eye of Sauron in the Lord of the Rings movies, and will stick his head under his blankie). This month, he should be done with his child-friendly therapy dog certification, and ready to be snuggled by lots of kids.
Thank you Celia and Jimmy for helping Jack find me-- he's a blessing in my life, and a really happy greyhound.

Re: A Year With Jack

Is it really a year?? Time flies! It's unbelievable how far you've brought Jack on in the space of a year. Sounds like he's a real credit to you and lovely he has lots of friends. I'll need to get some tips from you, Finn's still a diva!