Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advice needed for new greyhound owner - not me!

I've been asked for advice by a new greyhound owner not in this area, but I'm sure help will be forthcoming here for these familiar problems: (they've only had the dog a couple of weeks so I suspect it just needs more time, really)

1) toilet accidents through the night

2) wind - think I've seen that one on here before!

3) stealing food

I don't know when and what they're feeding him but can find out. I imagine the stealing food just needs them to be more careful, as they're not used to such a tall dog.

Any advice gratefully received as they need reassurance that they've done the right thing. He's got a good temperament, no issues there.

Re: Advice needed for new greyhound owner - not me!

stealing food-I do not really know but if I had to I would use a few sprays of water at his face when he steals food (as a deterrent),

night toilet accidents- the last feeding time should not be too late (lets say at 5 or 6 pm) and the last walk as late as possible, i.e. just before going to bed (just to give him a chance to do his business) and then I would empty even his water bowl-it is a sleeping time not for having a feast,

winds-just give him a spoon of natural yoghurt once a day (it should help),

Hi Kathleen,
I have a number of books called Caring For My Rescued Greyhound written by Jenny Stott who runs the South Lakes Branch of The Retired Greyhound Trust ,the books are well written and cover all the things that the new greyhound owner will come across. The books are priced £10+ p&p or could leave one at the kennels for you.
Chapters in book on toilet training,diet and feeding,health and physical care,fears and anxieties,teaching basic commands and leadership.
Bert Mccurdy for Greyhound Rescue Fife

Thank you both for your help, which I'll pass on. I thought the food might be a bit high in protein and I'll tell them about the yoghurt.

The info is for acquaintances of a friend, so I'll let them know the name of the book and they can order it themselves.

Thanks again.

Hi kathleen
I have a counter surfer too Missy puts front paws on worktops and checks out if there is anything worth stealing to eat. I have learnt to make sure all is clear in the kitchen and dishes done straight away, doesnt stop her surfing but no treat there Firmly told to go away and lie down when i am eating, (results within a couple of days)
My 2 are very windy omg feel like I can cut the room with a knife sometimes more so if on bakers or pedigree chum, I get Gusto lite complete and a spoonful of chappie this seems to help so it maybe rich food thats doing it.

not sure about the toilet problem, Missy peed a couple of times when I first got her but has stopped now. Jimmy and celia advised me to feed as late as possible at night which I did and they seemed to sleep right through, although now I can feed at tea time and no probs. maybe try a late feed and see if this helps. Mine were when I got up in the morning after a wee walk and last thing at night before bed.
Hope this helps a wee bit
Mary

Thanks Mary, I'll pass that on. As you say, some of it's training and with the food often trial and error.