Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Strange scab

Hi there,

Hope you are both well Celia & Jimmy, well done for your dedication & recent recognition!! Also hi to Marion & Bryn!

We are a wee bit worried about our girl Bluebell & wondered if anyone has encountered anything similar? We were lucky to rehome her from Celia and Jimmy 5 years ago and she is now 7, still as funny as ever and keeps in good health. Over the past few weeks, an odd jet black scab-like thing has appeared on her thigh. It grows one day, falls off & then grows right back again. I'm worried it might be cancerous due to the black colour & fact that it falls off then reappears again. I'm taking her to the vets but just wondered if anyone has seen anything like this? She's so precious of course....

Re: Strange scab

Hi,

Think you're doing the right thing taking Bluebell to the vet - is she knocking the scab off, or does it fall off of its own accord? Also, when the scab comes off, is there a mark below?

Jen's Eddie had a suspected skin cancer, but it turned out to be non-malignant. She may be better placed to offer you some advice on this. Or, of course, Jimmy & Celia may well have a better idea.

Hope all goes well and, please, keep us posted.

All the best,
Susan, Mo & Bootsie x

Hi Fiona and Stuart,
Nice to hear from you again but we're afraid we have no concrete advice for this one. The correct procedure, as you are doing, is to take her to the vet.
Only minor suggestion is to bathe it in salt water which would kill minor infections and certainly would do her no harm.
Please give her one of our cuddles and please keep us posted.
Good luck.
Celia and Jimmy.

Fiona & Stuart
...I'm worried it might be cancerous due to the black colour & fact that it falls off then reappears again....

Kell has dark skin and when he has had the odd knock and scrape his scabs are black, so I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions. He is also quite adept at knocking his scabs off and as a result they can take a while to fully heal. Hopefully this will be the case with Bluebell, but I think you're right in getting the vets opinion.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, we've been keeping it clean & will see what the vet says & keep you updated. She doesnt seem to be knocking it off, it just gets bigger, seems to fall off & then grow back again the next day like a black scab/wart. It looks different to any scab she's had before. Anyhoo, fingers crossed its just a beauty spot in an odd place!!...

I'll let you know what happens though & thanks again!

it could be a type of wart i think the general term for them is a cabbage wart, one of my oldies fiddle has had them for the last 5 or 6 years and been checked out by vets on a few occasions it can happen because their immune system gets weaker as the get older, usually they grow bleed drop off then regrow, you can get them removed by a vet

always better to get a vet to look at it if you're unsure though

Hi Fiona, Stuart and Bluebell,
How did she get on at the vet? Bryn sends copious licks and kisses, but he remembers the day she nipped him back (quite rightly!) and left a bald patch on his perfect pelt .
We're hoping this is something simple and benign, like a scratch scab that keeps getting knocked or licked off before it can heal so it just re-grows again. Do keep us posted,
Marion & Brindles xx

Hi all,

Thanks for you replies & thanks Marion for saying hello, glad to hear Bryn is good. Right after I posted last time, the scab thing fell off before we had a chance to get her to the vet!! Typical as it was falling off regularly & growing straight back. This time however it hasnt grown back, I've still made a vets appt for this thurs anyway as she's due her jags & will see what he thinks. In the meantime, she is lying here cleaning herself as she does at the same time every night, of course tho, she is such a wee beauty, big hugs back to Bryn...