Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Refusing food

Guinness, has been a bit off the past few days. On Wednesday he went for his boosters and didn't come out of my bedroom the whole day so we bought him a bone to cheer him up. He sat outside and ate his bone but ever since then he has lost his appetite, and is refusing food but drinking a lot more water. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort but he I now very lethargic and doesn't want to leave my room for any reason. Guinness is usually a very greedy dog who would never turn his nose up at anything but now he doesn't want to know.
Any ideas on what's wrong?

Re: Refusing food

Think your best net is the vet. It's good that he's drinking because at least he won't dehydrate but I wouldn't leave him not eating food for too long and if he's lethargic sounds like you really need to go to the vet!

Yeah, i thought he'd need to go, he likes to keep it regular at that vet, 3rd trip this month!
has anyone else had an issue like this? 'cos I don't know weather the blame the bone, the boosters or something else entirely! He's a strange big thing
Thanks for the advice jennifer

Hi Danielle,

Poor Guinness :-(

It's a guessing game really, but I think a trip to the vet is essential to get to the bottom of this.

Guess it's possible that a bit of the bone has stuck in his throat, and is making it uncomfortable to eat - hence the extra drinking ... trying to dislodge it. Again, this could be a coincidence.

Let us know how it goes,
Susan.

Yes Danielle, he definitely needs to go to the vet. I have heard of something similar after having booster vaccinations before but it might not be related to that at all, you just don't know until you see the vet. Also I would never give a dog a bone to chew, especially a greedy one like ours or Guinness, I have heard of hundreds of cases of bits getting stuck in the throat and causing pain and even death. Good luck with Guinness.

Guinness has perked right up this morning. As soon as my alarm went off he came to meet me at my room like he usually does, but hadn't been doing while he was ill. He knows the sound of my alarm means breakfast time so when i opened my eyes to a big wet nose in my face i thought, well someone's feeling better.
took him down stairs and he's running in front of me to get out to his bowl, wagging his tail enthusiasticly. when i poured the food in his bowl he scoffed it down in a familiar greedy fashion, defiantly all better.
Guess the booster did just make him a bit groggy, managed to avoid the vet with this one.

That's great news :-)

As you say, possibly the boosters made him a bit groggy or, perhaps he did have a bit of bone stuck which he has managed to dislodge - I'm with John, I wouldn't give Bootsie a 'real' bone.

Glad Guinness feeling better :-)

All the best to you both,
Susan x

haha, thanks
Guinness will be sticking to pigs ears from now on