Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The worlds smallest and greediest greyhound

Hi all,

Yesterday I took Eddie and Wisp a nice long walk a celebration for a year with Eddie. Wisp is always on the scrounge and yesterday was no different. She spied some sort of dead animal and when I say swallowed it whole I mean the whole thing!

So not meaning to be graphic but her poo has more fur than a rabbit. More concerning was earlier this evening she started moaning in pain and lunging back and forth. When she pood I can only say it was filled with bone. She's pretty constipated. I called the emergency vet who advised to give her fibre and Ill take her in tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas what else I can give her to try and relieve the constipation slightly?

Thanks

Jen Eddie and Wisp

Re: The worlds smallest and greediest greyhound

Guinness is a fan of eating things he shouldn't and often gets into situation like this. i found that cereals like wheatabix, shredies or bran flakes work best, as they are high in fibre and low in sugar. try a little had full in her dinner, even a teaspoon of cod liver oil.
Hope this helps!

if not used to milk, give her full fat milk it usually makes them runny unless they're used to it

Of course the real answer is to keep them on a lead AT ALL TIMES then you have control and can see what they are doing.

Well said John

Kaz Brundell

Do we even know that Wisp WAS off her lead ?!?

Susan.

She was on her lead... It was snowing and I was concentrating on not falling in the snow and she grabbed it. As I said literally swallowed it whole. All dogs eat stuff they shouldn't and I wasn't too bothered about her eating it to begin with as that's what they would eat in the wild but the consequences have worried me an I'm treating her for it.
Celia and Jimmy gave me a hugemungus lecture before I got Eddie about not letting them off the lead and I ain't gonna mess with Celia! Lol.

Well said Jen - didn't think she would have been off her lead.

We wouldn't mess with Celia either !!!!!!!!

Susan x

You never can be fully sure that you keep your dog under full control even when on the lead. Accidents might happen everywhere and to anyone. We can minimise their occurence, of course, but that is all we can really do.

Now Stan, you might want to put this in your diary ...... I ABSOLUTELY agree with you :-)

Susan x

Hi Susan,
I will:-)
Best wishes,
Stan

Just to let everyone know Wisp appears to be back on track. Last stage of recovery is worming tomorrow and a lecture on why she shouldn't eat horrid animals. She will look at me like I'm stupid but needs to be done!

Good luck Jennifer! I think she might even have found it tasty...It is going to be a hard task to convince her it was horrid...

Haha! Oh it gives me the sick feeling just thinking of it :( Yuck! Hopefully if she does find it nice, she can process it next time and I don't need to get to the vet!

Apparently, some trainers just throw rabbits and such into the kennels for the dogs to eat so perhaps that's why she finds it so appetising!

Even on leads I've found greyhounds a handful, especially if you have more than one. Bunny and Bandit seem to love taking the mick by going opposite directions, changing positions to try to twist leads up, and the palava when one does a poo! I've had bunny try to pick up all manner of objects and try to sneak them with her while on walks.

I think it's a bit harsh to assume the dog wasn't on a lead, cos even on a lead the damage can easily be done. And even worse when also trying to walk in this snow. Short of muzzling a dog pretty much 24/7, which seems harsh.

I'd just like to say that I consider myself a responsible greyhound owner. I never let the dogs off the lead unless its 100% secure. I stayed in a flat with a garden that had a fence but wasn't 6ft and rain hail sleet or snow I'd walk the dogs as opposed to risking it in the garden. I'd like to think everyone who meets me and knows me know that I'm sensible with the dogs and the heart ache of losing then far surpasses the joy of seeing them running free. As I said it was an accident that she managed to pick it up and (touch wood) it doesn't happen again.

Jen Eddie and Wisp

I always walk my Greyhounds on the lead too. My previous greyhound - Mindy - once grabbed a live mouse that scuttled across the pavement in front of her. Down the hatch it went! I had a split second glimpse of its tail and back legs, and then it was gone. On another occasion she did a lightning quick side-swipe and caught a rabbit that came out of some bushes, and then killed it in one action. They have eyes like a hawk. Once she had killed the rabbit she dropped it at my feet - didn't even want it! No ill effects from the mouse. Best wishes, Iona

I think we sometimes need to remind ourselves that these are dogs - carnivors with digestive systems designed to live on raw meat, complete with bones, fur, sinews, etc. They have digestive juices pretty much like battery acid and they can survive eating most things they find in the 'wild' with no more than a minor tummy upset.
When it's someone's leftover picnic or barbecue, however, that's a different story and it makes me SO mad that people can trek their food and drink to beautiful places but can't be bothered to take the residue home with them or bin it. This has caused me much more anxiety than the odd dried-up rabbit carcass.

Lassie ate mouse
Smudge was coming in with his catch
Just as the girls where going out fir a walk and he dropped it in surprise
Down in one

Yuech !

I agree Marion I wasn't bothered about her eating it to begin with but when she was moaning in pain because she couldn't pass it I was really concerned as if bone splinters inside there digestive system it can tear the bowel or intestine and that's what myself and my vet were concerned about. She's fine now after she was sick several times :-)

Reading this post has made me feel much better about my last greyhound - a colleague at work (who also had a greyhound so she should have known!) took him out for a wee stroll which happened to include going past a bakers shop. She was standing talking to a friend when she realised that she had a rather upset old lady next to her, with my dog eating 4 very hot sausage rolls, still in bag. On reflection, that's much better than a dead (or alive) piece of wildlife! I have had to try to retrieve a newly dead rabbit from Rab's jaws, with Morgan dancing around thinking it was all great fun, but it sounds as though I have escaped fairly lightly!