Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advice please ........

Hi everyone,

As you know, Bootsie has had a sore paw for a week or so now. Firstly, the vet removed grit from a cut in his front left paw pad - it was bandaged up for a few days, and the bandage removed last Monday morning. On Wednesday, we noticed that he was still limping pretty badly

I took Bootsie back to the vet on Thursday afternoon, and he said that there was a cut on another pad, on the same paw, that had a foreign body in it. I had to leave Bootsie to have a sedative so that Bob could remove this. We got him home later on Thursday evening - Bootsie was very groggy, having had a substantial pice of glass removed from his pad. No bandage was put on this time, as the vet wanted us to bathe the paw in salt water after every walk. Obviously, by now, we were slightly paranoid so got little Pawz disposable boots to protect his paws when out, but still bathe it after every walk. He also has 4 antibiotics a day, and we have to go back on Tuesday evening for a check-up ....... HOWEVER, Bootsie is still limping very badly and seems generally out of sorts

Are we being paranoid? Just feel that the limping should have improved

Has anyone else had experience of cut pads and, if so, how long did the limping take to ease?

I should say, his appetite is fine and his nose is cold Not sure whether to 'phone the vet again tomorrow morning - don't want them to think we're paranoid mummies!

Any advice gratefully received,
Susan & Mo xx

Re: Advice please ........

Hi

Bolt had a large stone removed from his paw last year .We go to the same vet and had the same pre op care
It took about 3 weeks for him to recover from it .

We went to the vet just before you the
Other week as Bolt started to limp but this time nothing in paw. So we got pain killers for him and put his boot back on the paw

I am now putting paw wax on them all (12 paws) and Bolt
Has his boot on as well.

Mag

Hi Susan, We had a problem with Bobby ( Sooty) limping after Ex Rays he was still limping. Our vet found he had a corn so he had it removed after visiting twice a week to get bandage changed with short walks after 12 Weeks Bobby is now back to normal.So it can take some time for the pads to heal.we found that Bobby would try to get on to soft ground at first but not now. It does take time. Erine and paddy Jenny and Bobby

If the paw is not swollen I think there is no infection in it. He has been taking antibiotics to prevent it anyway. I would just reduce his walks to the minimum over the next few days. You can always have a sharper look at the pad to see if there are any changes or if it heals properly. I know that using a tincture of iodine always helps with healing and disinfecting sore spots but it is usually quite nippy when you apply it onto on an open wound. For me it is a perfect way to fight any infected spots but I think Boots will not like it.