Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dandruff

Alfie is moulting a lot right now and has quite a bit of dandruff. Does anyone have any tips or should this pass once he has finished moulting?

Thanks

Re: Dandruff

Sorry if this is a daft question. (It's not an April Fools joke....honest!!)

Bolt had a lot when we got him.
It disappeared after a while
Mags

Introduce 2 or 3 spoonfuls of oil (sunflower) or cod oil a week into his food. His skin should improve quite quickly.

Thanks for the replies. I will keep an eye on it and see if it goes after the moulting is finished. If not I will try the oil.

All I need now is some tips on training Alfie not to pee on his feet . Everytime he pees he goes for ages and has no aim whatsoever normally resulting in all 4 paws getting a good soaking . Crazy dog!!!

You can give him oil twice a week on a regular basis. His fur will become very shiny and soft. Not too often and not too much though otherwise his stool will become too loose. Twice a week a spoonful added to food will do. It is a good remedy not only for dandruff but for general good skin condition as well. People can take also and it makes a difference (olive virgin oil taken separately without food or with some suitable food e.i. salads).

Hi
I read on a grehound website to use avon skin so soft for dandruff, I sparay a wee bit on my two,s brush before brushing and it seems to work.
Mary (Pancho/Missy)

I, personally, think that central heating makes dandruff worse and, of course, we've all had our heating up high over the past weeks! I also think that wearing coats for prolonged periods makes it worse - certainly, in Bootsie's case, it appears to.

We give Bootsie sardines twice a week, which seems to help - of course it shows up so much more on a black dog!

As for peeing on his own feet ... Bootsie does exactly the same, particularly when he is being too lazy to actually lift his back leg

Good luck!

Susan.

I think you'll find that the dandruff goes when he stops moulting, that's what happens with my hounds, anyway.
Peeing on legs seems to be the norm for some boy hounds - mine are quite fastidious about licking their legs clean again, but Bryn's a devil for peeing on the other dogs' heads when they're all sniffing the same interesting 'perfume' .

When we got Floyd from the kennels he started moulting (just the kennel coat) and had a dry skin and dandruff so I started giving him cod liver oil and it went away pretty quickly, now I just give it to them occasionally.

Marion is right, peeing on legs is normal.