Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arthritis in greyhounds

Hi, I'm just after a bit of advice. My greyhound Freya is 13 and since Christmas has started to show signs of arthritis. I have a pain killer from the vets for her, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is anything more I can do for her in the way of supplements? I'm also wondering the best thing to do for her walk? I'm aware her arthritis is worse if she doesn't have her walks, but this morning she really struggled on a short walk around the park. I don't want to be causing her more pain.
Any advice would be much appreciated

Katherine & Freya

Re: Arthritis in greyhounds

HI FUNNY YOU SHOULD SAY THAT ABOUT YOUR GREYHOUND
FREYA LEGS MY GREYHOUND IS ALSO NEARLY 13 AND HAVE NOTICED
HIS LEGS A BIT WOBBLY I THINK HE IS GETTING ARTHRITUS I GIVE
HIM JOINT SUPPLEMENTS WHICH I GET FROM TESCO DOES HELP HIM
A BIT HOPE THIS HELPS

Hi there I hpe this helps you my friend ann runs a health business on line called synergy health and a if you ask for a clay supplement that can be put in his food that will really help its great stuff. Gill x

Hi Katherine,
My vets recommended a course of glucosamine but I've found that Omega 3 fish oils have more effect on my eldest hound (12). He can still run around fine but his back legs are a bit stiff and wobbly when he's been lying down a while.
Some people swear by green-lipped mussel extract. I guess it's a case of try it and see. They also love a bit of massage!
Good luck.
Marion

You might like to try a copper collar. I had amazing results with one of these with my previous greyhound. When he was 12 and getting a bit arthritic, the vet recommended trying the copper collar before starting on pain killers. She said other dog owners had reported good results from it. I got one (from Freedom Collars in Perth) and the results were astonishing. After a few days all signs of pain and stiffness had vanished and he remained that way for the next 18 months until the dog had to be put to sleep when his kidneys failed.

Thanks all for your advice. I like the sound of the copper collar, I think we'll try that and see if it helps. Where is Freedom Collars?

If I remember correctly, Freedom Collars were based in Perth. You had to phone them up and order the collar which comes in different sizes. I just googled it and this seems to be the contact info

Freedom Collars
Quayside House Friarton Road
Perth
PH2 8BB

Telephone: 01738 445572

That's great, thanks very much!

I've had this with two of my hounds. Kyle, who we lost in March, had bad arthritis and also dementia. I had him on Metacam however his life changed when we got him a magnetic collar. It just seemed to make things more comfortable for him. I can get it to you if you'd like to try it?

Hi Amanda, thanks for the message. I've ordered her a copper collar, so fingers crossed it'll work!