Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An update on Patch

So many of you will know Patch from the kennels. He came home with me on Sunday on a so-called ‘trial’. There was no ‘trial’ about it! He met his new brothers and sisters without any issue. This is a family picture of their first walk together:

Shadow (greyhound x collie), Princess Claddagh, Duchess (our elderly long term foster), Lola-Rose (tripawd staffie x greyhound) and long term GRF boy Mick who is now known as Nick.

After arriving, Patch quickly got to know the stairs and decided to try out all the beds in his new kennel. He thought he preferred mine:

He then met the teenager of the house and decided she was going to be his bestest friend in the world. Especially since she doesn’t complain about him getting on her bed. In fact she encourages him to share:

Its not all plain sailing however. He didn’t think much of his food for the first few days of being here. However he now knows there is nothing else on offer so has decided he’ll eat it. He’s also a little excitable in the morning .

Patch has decided his new sister Lola-Rose is so much fun because she has 3 legs and is very fast and funny – especially when she runs in a circle. Lola-Rose is half staffie and has taught him some naughty staffie habits such as the ‘bitey leg game’. This is being actively discouraged!

His other two new sisters are both elderly and one is a Duchess and the other is the Princess. He has realised quite quickly that they will inspect him on their terms however on no account is he to approach them without them inviting this. Mostly the old dears just ignore him and the others.

Patch met his little sisters through the windows. 8 hens. He had one jump at
them and has since completely ignored them. Although he does like to lie on the couch and watch them wander past the patio doors.

Patch has not disgraced himself and has not yet had an accident indoors. He quite likes running in and out the garden with Nick, Shadow and Lola though this has to be discouraged when Patch and Shadow try to out do each other barking!

For anyone who walked Patch, the following may sound familiar. Patch goes to the teen bed around dinnertime. He falls asleep and is completely comatose. On Tuesday evening, we tried to encourage him to go for a walk. He refused point blank to get out of bed!

Later that night, Patch refused to get off his couch at bedtime. I tried to push him to get him up however he slipped right off the couch and fell on to the floor. He just lay there! Some cheese helped him get up and also helped salve my conscience. Poor Patch.

This morning he saw his first cat from the window. He barked like mad. There are a lot of cats around here exploring the country so its something he’ll have to get used to!

He’s going from being like a child in a sweetshop to being the most lazy and stubborn greyhound I’ve ever met. He appears happy though we have a long way to go. He has real character and fits in very well. Here’s hoping Patch goes from strength to strength!

Re: An update on Patch

Well it certainly sounds like Patch has made himself at home ... !!!!

It's GREAT to hear that he's settling in well with his new family

Do keep us posted.

Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxx

Hi Amanda, Davie & the gang,

That's a brilliant update on how Patch is getting on, brought a tear to my eye. Love the photo of him with his siblings. He was well known and popular at kennels so thanks for taking the time to do the post. You can't have much spare with all those animals!

Awwww.... That's the patch I know and love!!! Half off the couch pretending to be dead...... Glad to hear he is not disgracing himself toooooo much.
He used to have his own conversation with rookie, so he's maybe expecting the hens to caw... at him!

Hi Amanda.
Things look great so far.
Thanks for giving him a chance.
Jimmy.

Since the last update, Patch has settled in quite well. We still get stubborn 'I'm not getting off this bed' but in general, he has started to fit in. He loves the girls and the collie lurcher though he has challenged Nick twice now. Nick does anything to avoid trouble however I'm keeping my eye on them just in case. He's met the local dogs including the chows and appears to be interested in what they're doing.

He's still trying out every bed in the house and managed to sneak into the spare room on Saturday and found yet another bed there

Patch needed a bath - we wanted to try make some of his marks better. He stood in his bath however I'm not convinced he liked it very much

On Sunday we had planned to take Duchess (our elderly foster) to a greyhound show down south. Duchess is lifelong foster for this rescue and they hadn't met her because of how she came in. My overnight dogsitting arrangements broke down so it meant we had to go down and come back same day. Because I'm not happy to leave Patch for any length of time at the moment, we decided to take him, despite the halti still not being here. We took Patch with Duchess and Lola the tripawd with someone coming to spend time with the others.

Problem was that we had to leave at 6 a.m. I got out of bed, Patch got in. Somehow he managed to get right under the covers

When we got to the show, Patch got overexcited. It was a hot day and he was lunging to get everywhere. As it was held in a large public park, he became particularly excited about off lead dogs running around. We had to give him some time out back at the car. After this (and some home made dog treats) he'd calmed down enough to go back and join the show. We sat with him and he was calmer. By the end of the show, he was so much better, taking other breeds of dogs in his stride

On the way home, we stopped off to see my friend. She has a Bernese Mountain Dog, GSD, a poodle and a pomeranian. Patch was in his element - adored the other dogs and even played for a bit. Then he met the cats. After being slapped by two of them for trying to sniff them, we have deemed him to be cat 'workable'.

Today Patch met my baby nephew. He appeared to absolutely adored him. My nephew didn't particularly adore him though! His favourite person is definitely the teen who has picked out his new collar and now invites Patch to share her bedroom at night. I don't know if he'll always want to be away from the other dogs overnight but thats what he wants for now and the teen is quite happy with that!

He's settled down but we've still got a way to go. I'm hoping to take him down town when the halti finally arrives to get him used to walking with people around him.

He looks great after his bath, I didn't know he was white!

Looks like you've made major strides with him already, I know he can be a handful when out and about.

Nice for Kal he has chosen her as his buddy.

See you at show on Sunday.

Karen