Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What to do when your dog see's a CAT?

Hi everybody looking for some advice?

Daisy and Toby have settled really well and aren't given us on problems :) although when we are out and about and one of them see's a cat there go NUTS!! Any advice on how to handle this situation? They get very stressed even trying to bit there lead off? We don't have any issues with them walking on a lead till they see a cat.

Any suggestions welcome
Thanks
Kayleigh and brian

Re: What to do when your dog see's a CAT?

In ten weeks I've got my Teigan to behave fairly well with cats. At the start she went bananas yipping and tugging on the lead. So I took out a water pistol on our walks and everytime she did this she got a squirt of water and a very firm NO. Now she is just interested in seeing a cat and may give a wee tug but a jerk back and a NO stops that. We live in a cul de sac where there are three resident cats who tend to lie in the road. She's not interested in them at all any more - has obviously decided that they belong here.

I say NO! very firmly and walk forward with mine.

Mags

Hi
I shorten leads and firmly say No, with the leads shortened they cannot get momentum in strides .
Hope this helps
Mary

I think it gets better with time, and cats are quite smart, so local ones will learn to keep out of the way. I did have a situation once when a very friendly cat came strolling up for a fuss when the dogs were in the car, waiting to go for their walk. They were going nuts but the cat just sat down on a hillock 10 yards away grinning at them and refused to be shooed away.
I just moved the car and walked elsewhere, as my priority was to keep the cat safe, and getting 4 keen greyhounds out and on leads was just too risky.
If a greyhound has a high chase instinct and a cat bolts in front of it, be prepared to hang on tight. But then that applies to most breeds of dog.

Izzy, in particular, matches the description of your hound. She'll snap at the other two out of frustration at being denied the opportunity of ripping the cat's head off.
I've found though that even Izzy's reaction has tempered through time with her occasional exposure to cats on out daily outings. She always gets agitated when she sees one, but only gets yippy now if she see's it running away from her.
I recon if I was to persevere I could get them all to live with a cat... that said it may take me the lives of three cats to get there!

I was pleased to see this thread as Rex and Eva go nuts if they see a cat. We manage to walk past them with a little bit of pulling and a wee bit of vocals but if they see one walking in front of them, they go haywire. Eva rears and spins and yelps, Rex doesn't rear and spin but pulls and yelps. Once when we were out walking, Steve had decided to carry the muzzle (I always use Eva's) and then when a cat appeared Rex started snapping at Eva, so we have put it on since. I'm gonna try the water pistol method and see if that will give Eva a wee shock. When there is two greyhounds on the go, they both wind each other up too which dosent help the situation. Seems a common problem tho..........

You're right, two greyhounds will wind each other up. I only have the one and a firm no and a tightning of the lead works. Olive is walking with 2 collies and tends to mimic their behaviour so I don't have a big problem there. The water spray is a good distraction. When Rosie, my Border Collie had a fascination to herd cars I carried a plastic bottle with stones in it to distract her. It worked and cars are no longer a problem.

Awwwww my greyhound loves my cat they not all aggresive love her x x x