Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
VETS

Can someone tell me where Vetrica (is that how's it's spelled) is? Seriously considering a change from my present vet - had Mikey there today - he's booked in for his teeth op on Wednesday (circa £300+) but got eardrops today for a wee ear infection - £39.95!!!!! OMG, is it just me or this is extortionate?

Re: VETS

It's in rosyth
this is from their website

Our main surgery is located on Jutland Street at the north end of Rosyth, the end unit of Primrose Lane Medical Centre. Close to the motorway, and Rosyth railway station, we have ample free parking, and a bus stop close by. We also have a branch surgery in Kelty, conveniently located on Main Street, half a mile from the M90 motorway.
01383 418558

I recall my vet charging £40something for ear drops for Murphy. 3 weeks later, after the infection cleared in one ear, it reappeared in the other. I was furious when the vet refused to issue a repeat prescription and insisted that I come in again for another consultation. I refused and threatened to register my three hounds at another vet. To be fair, the vet phoned me back within the hour and agreed to issue a repeat prescription.

I, too, often feel that vet charges are exorbitant.

You going to the walk tomorrow Isobel? If so, can give you directions - Vetrica;s two minutes from us!

Susan x

40.00 pound for ear drops are you having a laugh, i work in a pet shop in glasgow 3.60 works great seriously lol ......

We had Teigan's teeth done a fortnight ago - scale and polish and (unfortunately) 6 extractions - bill was £220 which included the follow up visit to check all was ok.

Serves me right for criticising vets. Archie made after a rabbit this morning and it looks like he's dislocated, or sprained, a toe. Lying a bit skew wiff. Have to take him in tomorrow!!!

Thanks all, I had thought about a wee drop almond oil in his ear (well, it's good enough for me) but seems we are afraid of doing more harm than good. Trouble with my vet (who I've gone to for over 30 years now) is that they are now also a high tech hospital and costs have soared over the past few years. Watch STV early on the new year - filming is going on there as we speak for a vet programme! Can't fault their level of care though - I'll decide what to do after Mikey's op on Wednesday.

I think Vetrica are great, not because I use them (too far away) but because my own vets commented on Jock's great surgery when I brought him home after his sarcoma op.
I think it's worth building a relationship with your vet. I've been with mine (Provost in St Andrews) for seven years now. I've found them fantastic and not over-expensive in out-of-hours emergencies, and very caring when euthanasia was required. Routine stuff is not cheap but they have various plans to help spread the cost. The more hounds I have, the more sympathetic and helpful they have become. For example they waived a lot of Jock's aftercare costs (he's a bit of a favourite!).
If you don't get on with your vet, then definitely think of moving.

Your tooth scaling does seem expensive. Olive was £265 to be spayed and teeth scaled, antiobiotics and aftercare. My vet goes on a scale of charges on the weight of the dog for aneasthetic. As she did not have external stitches- she was glued and sealed they were happy to do both at once.

Hi
seems a lot to charge

I had Missy at Vetrica for teeth, She had 32 teeth out (ouch) antibiotics and painkillers also follow up check and was very pleased with the srvice and the cost (£287). Cannot fault Vetrica for the care they that was shown to Missy and the time taken to give me any information I needed.

Mary (Missy and Pancho)

Mikey had 4 teeth out today, the rest cleaned, his ear cleaned out and antibiotics - £364.05. Ouch on all counts. Just to make him feel better though, I had a whopping great molar out as well today - double ouch! You should see the pair of us.................

Vince had an abscess last week so a course of antibiotics, then four teeth out and a scale and polish. Including his follow up visit, it cost us £216. From what I've read here, it could have been a lot worse! We're on the west coast and our vet is in Kilbarchan.

I hope you and Mikey are feeling better, Isobel!