Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Halti collar

Hi,

can I ask if anybody used Halti, I remember vaguely that somebody was using it, is it effective? How long would you say the dog has to have it till he gets the idea that his/hers behaviour is unacceptable?

Thanks

Monika

Re: Halti collar

I have used a Halti on Dilly and, although she hates it, it does work. I haven't used it for a while but, sadly, will have to look it out again before I lose an arm. Be aware though, I originally got one "Greyhound" size 3 but it was miles too big for her slim head and I had to repurchase a size 2. Don't leave it lying around either - or it will be eaten!

I will try it thanks Isobel, Floyd is not the problem but Jess, every time we meet a dog she starts barking and jumping at Floyd and being generally pest, biting his ears and pull, really naughty, she did not used to be this bad but I have to do something about it not only because of Floyd, it just got into stage when my skin on my fingers is broken almost constantly.

We used a halti on Toby and use one on Tara. For us they have been invaluable.
Michele

A halti will only solve the problem when the halti is on. When u change back to an ordinary collar they will continue to pull.

Mac did not like the halti as it was padded and moved his muzzle. The gentle leader is a better fit and has improved my comtrol of them considerably. Jen is right, they will revert to pulling when its not on but i have no intention of going out without them having 2 leads, one attached to the collar, one to the gentle leader (one clipped facing in and the other clipped facing out) and a muzzle each.

what is a gentle leader, I never heard about it. I walk them with collars now as she was really annoying him but that only solves her biting him, not her pulling, she walks really nice but she has moments of madness.

It's the same type of thing as a halti but I think it's a bit easier to put on. Basically a loop goes over the nose then 2 outer straps clip at the back of the head. A strap with a ring hangs down, and attach the lead to that. Can be worn with a muzzle. Maisie leaps and spins if she sees a hedgehog and I don't think any halter can stop that but for pulling dogs it's great. Get it from Amazon, it's cheaper about £7. When they pull you gentle pull back and their head follows, release and let them have more lead again. I don't claim to have perfect dogs (yet!!) but I found the Gentle Leader really helped and my shoulder sockets are back in one piece. I got size medium for my dogs

thanks Jenny, will have a look at it.

Just checked and it's by a company called Beaphar. As I say I'm no expert in any way but it's the best 7 quid I've spent

When Patch was at kennels, Ann had a halti on him when she was out. We bought one when he came home. That was in April. That was a lifesaver for us! He doesn't need it now though sometimes he forgets himself and tries to pull. But thats just Patch and putting it back on him isn't an issue - he doesn't mind it because he knows it means he's going walking and Patch loves his walks! I probably wouldn't have used one before but it makes things so much easier and fully recommend them!