Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joey and Sue. One whole year

A quick update.

First of all – Jimmy and Celia – this is all your fault. So, from the bottom of our hearts, thank you very much. :)

Exactly one year ago we were able to take Joey and Sue home. It would be fair to say that they’ve turned our lives upside down, but in a good way. They’re currently in their favourite places, which means we’re down a sofa, but they’re quite good at letting us share if we ask nicely!

I’m not sure exactly what we were expecting when we went to look at some Greyhounds. (Actually, we were expecting to get one, but we came home with 2. An easy mistake to make, particularly with a saleswoman like Celia on hand…) Well, whatever it was we were expecting, it wasn’t what has actually happened, but then again, we wouldn’t swap them for the world, so sorry Jimmy and Celia, you can’t have them back!

They’ve always been really good when they’re out for a walk. Sue can be a bit ‘enthusiastic’ should she spy a cat or a squirrel, whereas Joey prefers to attack discarded fish suppers! Honestly, you’d think we’d never ever fed him. You’ve just got to make sure you’ve got a good hold of the lead at all times. I’ve had more than one occasion where I’ve walked around a corner to find a cat, a squirrel or a pigeon about a yard away! Still, no harm done though (except to the fish supper!).

Joey hasn’t quite learned that he can take his time eating – he bolts his food just slowly enough to stop from choking himself. Sue is far more sensible. Joey caught on quite quick that he can’t just start on Sues food just cos he’s finished first. I assume that sort of behaviour is what he used to do when he was racing. We give them fish twice a week, mackerel or sardines, and they absolutely love it, and it’s done wonders for their coats.

At home, they indulge in all the favourite things that we know that Greyhounds love. Sleeping, cuddling up, sleeping, lounging around, sleeping, destroying their toys and sleeping. Their one mildly annoying trait is killing TV remote controls – we’re at seven so far (and one mobile phone). I mostly blame my kids for this. If you put the remote control up on a high shelf, it’s perfectly safe. If you leave it on the couch however, it meets an untimely end.

So, just to say once more, thanks very much for letting us have these amazing animals. They’ve been everything that we could have wished for and so much more. Of course, if you’re reading this and you have a Greyhound or four, you know that already. If you don’t, and you’re thinking about it – go and get one! (Just be careful how many you leave with).

Re: Joey and Sue. One whole year

Hi Guys.
We're so glad that everything has gone so well.
You are obviously greyhound addicts like us now.
Happy anniversary and big cuddles to Joey and Sue.
Most of all, thank you for taking two homeless doggies in and giving them a great home.
We hope that you have many happy years together.
Celia and Jimmy.