Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lots and Lots of black doggies

Hi all,

Noticed that there seems to be a greater than normal amount of black greyhounds in the kennels at the moment.

I have Eddie - Fawn and Wisp - black. Celia and Jimmy chose Eddie for me and I chose Wisp. Not once did I even think about either of their coat's. Both are loving dogs equally as annoying at times, equally misbehave and equally give me the greatest joy ever.

Why do people over look black dogs?

I'll tell you some pro's...

1) Wisp doesn't lose as much hair as Eddie. In fact your rarely see lose hair from her.
2) She has the most beautiful shine on her coat which is just gorgeous.
3) Wisp has the most loving personality ever; which is the same for all greyhounds no matter what colour.
4) I don't have to put sun cream on her belly in the summer!
5) I can wear black trousers - and they remain black!

These are just some "silly" reasons why black greys are just as good as a fancy colour.

Please when looking at the dogs consider a black dog. It may not get the oooooh's and aaaahhhhh's that the "nicer" colours do. But do you want a dog for those comments, or the personality you can live with for the next 10 years.

Don't overlook them.

Re: Lots and Lots of black doggies

We homed Megan 15 months ago and she is a gorgeous black. As you say, her coat is always being admired for its shine. She just celebrated her sixth birthday last week and is doing fine. I personally prefer the blacks and don't really understand why they are so unpopular.

We believe that the reason people love fawn dogs is - - - - what colour was your teddy when you were a child ?
We believe that the reason people don't choose black dogs is - - - - what colour was the witch when you were a child ?
Jimmy and Celia.

I admit when we went looking to adopt I ignored all the pictures of the black ones. Even when I first called Celia I mentioned a couple I liked the look of and immediately got pulled up for looking at colour rather than going by nature! Of course Celia knew best, the one and only dog we looked at when we got to the kennels was Raven and the rest is history! She has a gorgeous shine to her coat just like Wisp. The first dogs I now look at on the website are the black ones. Just goes to confirm, never judge a grey by it's cover - or colour!

Hi All,

This also makes me sad that the blacks are overlooked. Like Wendy, when we were enquiring about the hounds, we were asking about the fawn ones, the 'pretty' ones, but Jimmy kept saying, it's not about the colour. I don't like brindle markings on any dogs , went to the kennels and what did we choose, a black and a brindle lol. Truth be told , Eva could have been purple with yellow spots and we would have still taken her, when I read that she had been there for 2 years, that was enough for me. I will always have a black greyhound now, their coats shine like no other and she never sheds her hair. Eva has turned into the most beautiful, adorable, sweet natured dog ever, I'm so blessed to have her? Rex the brindle I never thought I'd pick is an utter nutcase, he's jealous, clumsy, a HUGE scaredy cat but he is such a happy smiley boy he makes us laugh every day. We have two fantastic hounds, and Im glad we were veered away from choosing on colour coz if we had chosen a pretty colour we may not have had the two beautiful souls that we have now although I don't think you could ever get a greyhound that isn't adorable and lovely.

Shevaun, Missy Eva and Rex x

That question mark shouldn't be there after "blessed to have her" lol, blinking fingers lol x

I think black is a great colour - a shiny black coat must be the ultimate picture of a beautiful, healthy hound.
We strive to make Jock's coat shiny, but he's 9 now and getting a bit grey round the edges, and his coat is still a bit sparse in places where he has healing scars, but when he stands to attention with his ears pricked, and his mile-long tail held 'just so', he looks stunning and he has a nature to match. He's a dog who has 'seen life' and come out mentally strong and kind. I really respect him for that.

I dont understand how anyone can go for a dog by colour, we wanted a black one but unfortuately, because we had a cat we took what celia and jimmy gave us she is a cream brindle but i would have loved any dog any colour, we love our girl she so loving xx

Jennifer ur post did make me giggle

Both daisy and Toby are black but there coats are commented on nearly every walk we go on,

Black doggie power............... the only down side is when in the garden at night they give me a fright cause I can't c them running up to me but again this makes me laugh and am sure they get some enjoyment out of it aswell :D

Black doggie love :D

We are fully paid up members of the 'black-grey brigade'!!

There always seems to be a lot of the 'black greys' in kennels. When we did a brief bit of fostering for Jimmy and Celia we had TC (Black), Jazz (Black), Maj (Black) and Louise (Black), Louise obviously now a full member of our crew along with Forth (Black) and sister Minnie (Black). Our eldest Jack is a brindle but the others don't discriminate against him because of it

Maybe the black ones don't 'stand out' as much but the are all individuals with their own individual personalities and quirks. You would hope the colour of a greys coat is the last thing people look for when looking to give one of these magnificent beasts a new forever home.

Our Forth is black with white dew spots, he is quite distinctive, but in all honesty it's now the last thing I notice about him, his even more distinctive grumpy personality is his defining feature!! (a feature that we love about him obviously )

Ben, Lyndz. Forth (black), Jack (brindle), Minnie (black) & Louise (black)

p.s our previous girl, Suzy, was also a black