Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bessie:

ABSOLUTELY thrilled to see that Bessie has found her forever home .... do we know who re-homed her? She was a lovely, lovely dog and we're sure that she will make a wonderful pet

Every happiness to Bessie and her new family,
Susan, Mo & Bootsie xxx

Re: Bessie:

Bessie has gone to live with Keith and his family. He had rehomed dog number 3 - 700 odd dogs ago, by the name of Eric who had sadly died, and he came in on Sunday to look for a potential replacement. Needless to say he left with Bessie and it looked as though she had captured him - he contacted Celia to say that she was settling in and was really affectionate. I'm sure they'll get on fine!

Yes brilliant news about Bessie!!

Hoping she will settle quickly in her new home.

Elaine & Steve xx

Way to go Bessie Boo! - how lucky are your lovely new owners to have such a character in their lives. Be a good girl now, and be gentle with them till they realise that your enormous zest for life is a good thing
Auntie Mx

So pleased to see Bessie get her forever home she is a lovely girl. We loved the time we had her.

Oh no! Bessie is back at Baltree - what went wrong wee girl? I told you to be gentle with them! They were clearly not meant to be and you shall find your perfect human companions soon. I'm sure Celia will help, if only for a bit of peace and quiet . Hope to get over and see you again soon before some other lucky people realise what a little gem you are.

I think Bessie needs a strong leader (both physically and mentally), most likely someone young and prudent. I suppose she is one of the dogs that would prefer to set their own rules to be followed by their owners On top of that she is still a pup so she is an "energetic monster". She will find the proper home soon, no worries

For heavens sake, do some folk think they are going to get the perfect perfect pet overnight. Dilly was very young when we first got her (yes folks, just over 2 years ago now, unbelievable) and she has been such hard work she could have been sent back a hundred times, especially since she was/is so different to Annie. She is so precious to us now that we could not imagine life without her. Never mind Bess, someone is out there for you and soon I hope. :-(

Thanks Stan,
As I am neither young nor prudent, that clearly lets me off the hook - although I am sorely tempted when I'm at my least prudent! My poor blind Dylan isn't ready for a Bessie in his life - he struggles with the mad Foxy!
You're right, of course, Bessie's huge charisma will win through in the end and she is safe until then. She will be SO perfect for someone.

Hi Marion,
Using the word "prudent" I meant someone who knows she can be hard work at first and is wise when making decisions in the process of teaching her new rules (hierarchy) in her new home. To go through that process with a stubborn (even a bit), energetic and strong puppy and to shape the proper behaviours takes time before your efforts are rewarded. That should be someone knowing what they are taking on, not to let the young dog's soul down. Not everyone can do it, in my opinion.
By saying that she should be adopted by a young person I just meant Bessie is a strong dog physically, so to handle her at least till she learns the new rules will more likely require a younger, stronger person. Obviously it is not set in stone.
Marion, I think you would be a perfect mum for Bessy, given a lot of experience how to deal with dogs and your outstanding dedication. Sadly, your current circumstances do not let you give a home to Bessie, you know about it and this is out of prudence.
I have no intention to discriminate against anyone due to age, gender etc.

PS. Sorry about my English if it sounds rubbish and confusing.

Hi Stan,
I can't imagine you ever discriminating against anyone and your English is fab! You are quite right in what you say (and I agree I'd be a perfect Mum for Bessie, thank you!) - but then I think the same about most of the GRF hounds and it just can't be so. My prudent voice is called Michael, who reminds me that most of our friends already think I'm nuts, especially when I invite them round and they can hardly move for dog beds but I still sit on the floor to let Dylan have his armchair!
I know I can't fit any more in the car, and that I tie myself in spaghetti knots when they all decide to poo at once and I'm trying to control gloves, leads and poo bags, and freezing my fingers off. But, when they're all fed and relaxed and strewn about the place in the evening, it's so lovely and peaceful and I think - well maybe ....

Celia asked me to tire Bessie out yesterday and see if that would help.
Two minutes later I returned, a tired out shattered wreck of a man.
Bessie still hadn't even panted.
It was great fun though
Jimmy.

Ah.... So that explains why she was a wee angel with her halti on today.

Hi guys,

Not sure if you will find this helpfull and I must stress I don't know Bessie's background or history so please let me know if this advice is not suitable!

I understand she is a lurcher, is there a hunting or training back ground? Obviously all sight hounds have the chase instinct but this can be minis used if they've had little chase training.

My point is is Vince my lurcher is a pain in the bum. But as I've had him since a pup he can get off the lead for a good run and stretch of his legs. This daily has vastly improved his behaviour in my house and when out walking. He's less bitey with wisp and he chill's out a lot more at home when he's had this run.

Would there be a possibility of Bessie being able to stretch her legs like this? I don't let Eddie or Wisp off because they don't need it and are content with on lead walks.

But we have to consider that Bessie has a bully breed in her which will require more stimulation and exercise than your average greyhound. Vince is whippet beddlington and the terrier in him is very apparent. Remember as well lurchers are bred for their recall as well as the chase as we all know greyhounds have little recall.

I hope I don't offend by posting this as I said I do not know Bessie's back ground so this may not be useful but just some stuff I've been reading about lurchers and their "needs" whilst training Vince.

Hi Jen,
Thank you for your advice, which is very helpful, but, unfortunately Bessie is only a puppy with zero hunting and she is given free access to the runs every day.
She is purely and simply an extremely happy puppy but amazingly strong and exuberant.
Jimmy.