Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flooring

Hey looking for some advice. We are doing some refurbishing to our house and just can't deside on flooring. Because it open plan we can't really have a carpet (although we know this is best for daisy & Toby). Does anyone have laminate/tiles/slate? And if so how does ur grey adapt to it?

Don't want to put something down and our dogs aren't comfortable.

Any suggestions welcome thanks in advance

Brian, Kayleigh, Lennon and daisy & Toby

Re: Flooring

We have tiles in the kitchen and they are all fine with it. One of the girls (Louise) has even mastered a slide from the back door all the way to the hall door! She will run from the garden, through the back door, slam the brakes on, slide and stop centimeters before the wall, turn and wander through to the hall! The others simply just walk on it like normal!

We also had laminate in our previous house (Kitchen & Living Room) and they were all fine with that as well.

We had foster greyhounds before and to start with they were a bit wary but they soon adapted to it and it became no bother at all.

All greys are different obviously but from the 8 we have had none have had any major problems, any that weren't too comfortable did manage to adapt pretty quickly.

Hope that helps

Ben, Lyndz, Forth, Jack, Min & Lou (the slider!)

Have a look on the 'Help and Tips' page on the website, you will see an article called Laminate floor phobia.

You can't beat cushion floor. It must be the non slip type, not too expensive and does the job, we have it throughout. Laminate is not suitable.

Thanks for all ur help we where looking at non slip or even a texturised flooring to help grip :D thanks John I will have a
Look on the website xx

We used to have vinyl flooring in the kitchen and the dogs had no problems with it. We replaced it with Amtico and this was no good for the dogs - we have had to put a strip of carpet on top between the doors so the dogs will walk through into the garden.

Ben & Lyndz, Where's the video of Louise doing olympic skating on the kitchen tiles please?! I can just picture it - and the skid marks! She is such a class act.
I have flagstones downstairs and they're fine on them but you have to have two layers of dog beds before they even think of using them rather than the sofa or armchairs. Carpet and one layer of dog bed seems acceptable upstairs.

I have old fashioned stripped floorboards, and both greys are fine on that though both can be a bit wary of shiny laminate, they obviously have expensive tastes as the very good stuff seems fine!

That's great it has now giving us some different ideas so hopefully we can deside on something we all like :D

Marion our greys don't accept the carpet anyway am sure they would have mummy n daddy sitting on deck chairs if they could get away with it, they do love there comforts that's for sure :D

Thanks again everyone

Xx

I have laminate flooring in my living room and they're all fine on it. Weren't scared of it and took to it like a grey to laminate!