Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
are we missing a page.

Mmmm thats so sad bessie is back, but we were on page 78 did another dog get brought back to .....

Re: are we missing a page.

Hi Gill,

Robbie and Kitty were on Page 78 but Robbie was returned too, and with the removal of Bessie from Page 77 it left a space for Kitty to go on there, so there is not now a Page 78.
Hope that explains it.

John.

Awww for goodness sake why was robbie returned a bit of time and patience is needed, its so unfair to return a dog when u have given it a home, x

These things happen - that first week is the highest risk, when the new owners expectations may not quite match the reality of owning this greyhound (or any new dog). It's easy to panic and think 'I can't do this'.
Even then, the dog will not yet be confident in their surroundings so it can take time for more challenging traits to emerge. If the bonding process is not complete, it may seem easier to give up on them.
I can remember calling Celia a few weeks after we rehomed Bryn, saying that I thought we'd made a mistake because I felt he needed more one-to-one attention than I could offer (I had 2 other hounds at the time). She persuaded me to persevere and I'm so glad she did because, 5 years on, he's such a great dog.
Of course we get incensed when new owners appear to give up too soon, but it's a life changing process. Celia and Jimmy will always encourage a little more patience but would rather have a dog back and try again than see it face an uncertain future. Robbie and Bessie will be fine.

Just wanted to add a little about this. My own experience was quite trying at times, I rehomed Millie almost a year ago, and after the first two weeks, I thought I had made a mistake, nothing was changing, and we still hadn't seen her wag her tail, I was almost in tears at times,she seemed so unhappy. I could not have lived with myself if I had returned Millie, it would have been on my conscience for ever. I kept on going, with a bit of encouragement from some of the folks on this site, and today, I have the most adorable, happy, and loved little greyhound. In all honesty, I think perhaps as much as three months was needed to completely get Millies confidence, but I am so glad I never gave up on her. I believe all dogs are different, and some will settle quicker than others, but if you give them enough time, and have patience, it does come good in the end. Hope this gives some encouragement to anyone thinking of taking on a greyhound, you have to be sure YOU are going to give time and have patience. They can be very trying at the start, but you should be prepared to give them time, and that costs nothing.

I totally agree stuart , think wee have been very lucky we got girlie last august , now caled willow and she settled straight away and that was with a cat in the house , we love her so much and she loves us she plays every day and has so much love to give, so i supose i can understand, but as u say time and patience comes good, x

I had the opposite. My lot lured me into a false sense of security. Eddie and Wisp were like the perfect dogs, and their behavior slowly deteriorated!

Fortunately after a few very strict months, and the introduction of a lurcher they appear to be trying to set an example!

I was close to returning them a few times because of their behavior but a little perseverance seen me through!