Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Very Different Evenings Walk

On our Tuesday evening walk Archie mistimes a turn when going full pelt and launches himself spectacularly into the Caledonian Canal. His initial plan, after getting his head above water, was to try to make it to the other side but very quickly realised that his jacket was weighing him down big style and he's not going to make it - so turns and heads back for the bank.

Murphy, the daft one, initially oblivious to this, then sees the schenanigans and think's I'll have a bit of that and joins Archie, like a ski jumper, for a late evening dip. Murphy realises instantly that this was a bad idea.

So one second I'm having a nice calm normal walk with my wife and three greyhounds, and the next I've got two hounds in a canal, both with jackets on, splashing their large front legs in the water!

After what seems about 30 secs both hounds, about 4/5 metres from the bank, are making no progress and are simply treading water and beginning to look troubled.

Oh yes, I forgot to add, Izzy gets very agitated with dogs splashing about in the water and is waiting for the first one to get out so that she can get it by the throat!

So nothing else for it, off comes my gloves (cant be too safe) and in I go (Samsung Galaxy S4 in pocket I might add), up to my neck in freezing cold water to yank two stupid bloody hounds to safety.

Rhona's on the bank pulling the dogs out with one hand, keeping Izzy away from them with the other hand whilst simultaneously trying to kick me back in to the canal.

Never a dull moment!!!

Re: A Very Different Evenings Walk

What a hero, they will make a film out of it next with someone like George Clooney as the hero!!!!!!

With a videocamera £300 could have been yours Brian.
Glad everyone is safe though. Hope they don't make a habit of it.
Jimmy.

Glad to hear that you all survived!

So glad you managed a happy ending - must have been quite 'tense' for a while - and VERY cold! I hesitate to ask but how did the Galaxy S4 fare

Lol - I can actually picture this - some folk may have seen my wee story about Annie shortly after we got her bounding into Townhill Loch after ducks, the silly besom realising very quickly that she couldn't swim, and my 80-year old dad wading in after her. Neither of them are here now but it still makes me chuckle to think of it. You could have had £250 if someone had the foresight to video it.

Isobel
the silly besom realising very quickly that she couldn't swim, and my 80-year old dad wading in after her.

Thanks Isobel - that made me really laugh! The things we do for our daft hounds

That's hilarious, wish I'd seen that!