Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
airline carrier

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience flying with a greyhound. We are moving to the US in May, so we need to find an airline safe dog carrier. Does anyone have one they might be selling, or know of a good one to buy?

Also, does anyone have any tips on preparing a greyhound for a flight?

Thanks so much!

Re: airline carrier

As far as I am aware airlines will give you their guidelines on appropriate carriers for dogs, friends moved to the States with their dog,and had to comply with the airlines requirements. They will also be able to tell you when the dog has to be delivered etc as I think its longer than normal check in of luggage!! I cant comment on preparing a greyhound for travel, my friends had a particularly loopy springer, but I would imagine if you have the carrier available for your dog to get used to that'll help in the same way as getting them used to sleeping in a cage. If you live anywhere near a boarding kennel that does quarantine stays they may be able to help you.

Hi Alex

Lucky you!

If you contact one of the groups who ship hounds throughout the world then you should get good advice because obviously if you are using any tranx, you need hound-safe ones!

Bernie Wright of Dog Rescue Ireland definitely has experience of flights and greyhounds. She's lovely and worth a chat. If that doesn't work, I know a few others that should be able to advise including some US groups who you might want to get to know

Thanks for the info! The airline has requirements as far as the size of the travel carrier, but they don't recommend any particular one.

I'll definitely try to get in touch with Bernie Wright, and see what recommendations she might have.

Thanks again!