Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Screw stake

Hey everyone looking for some advice.

We have a caravan and was looking at the screw stake for our dogs. But then we questioned wither or not they are safe to use for greyhounds? They would never be left unattended, would just be for when we are sittiing outside. Does anybody use them? Or are they not advices for greyhounds?

Thanks in advance
Kayleigh
(Daisy and Toby's)

Re: Screw stake

I think it depends on your dogs' temperament. I used one of these stakes for years with our first greyhound who was as placid as you could ever get. I wouldn't use it with the two dogs I have now. I wouldn't be sure that if they saw a rabbit or a small dog they wouldn't manage to pull it out of the ground or hurt themselves in some way.

We have two screw stakes used occasionally one for each dog when we go for a picnic or day trip. Found that as long as the ground was hard enough to hold the stake it was fine with supervision.

Common sense really soft ground will not grip the screw the same as hard ground. We got ours on ebay I think they were quite cheap. Worth a look!

I would only recommend using a short lead on the screw stake though as your dog is still controllable and it can not create energy by using energy from the standing start on a long lead to pull out the stake.

Lucky you having a caravan, Is it a static or a tourer ? Where do you have it sited if it is a static?

Hope that helps a bit!!!

George, Morag

Billy and Lassie

Thanks for ur advice.

It's Brians mum and dads caravan it's a touring caravan. We had daisy and Toby away a couple of weeks ago for the 1st time and they loved it. We go everywhere from Callander to loch lomand and our favourite southerness although nt tried this with the dogs yet as lots of little jumping rabbits although through time and a very careful eye am sure we will make it back. We are hoping this summer is as good as lasts years we got away loads fingers crossed

I use stakes with my dogs. I had them made with a blacksmith. They are safer than the screw ones and are straight and pointed like a very large nail. They go into the ground right up to the hilt with a couple of loops welded on. I also use a short lead and have never had any problems. We too have a touring caravan.