Fife Greys Forum

This is the place to chat about your rescued Greyhound.

Fife Greys Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog food

Hey

Daisy and Toby have been with us for early a year now but we feel we haven't got there food just right. We feed them with cobbydog and they love it but there second toilet of the day can b a little loose. This hasn't affected there weight but feel it maybe to rich for there wee delicate tummy s.

What does everybody feed there hounds?

Thanks
Brain and Kayleigh

Re: Dog food

Hi Brian.

It is recommended for ex-racers to feed them food with a protein content of 20% or less. To much protein in their food can cause them problems.

We first used Wafcol Greyhound Maintenance for our Billy and Lassie which is a good food for retired Greyhounds but it is a bit pricey.

We have now been feeding our two Greyhounds for several years "Greyhound Country Value" @ £12.99 for a 15KG bag. Country Value Greyhound on Amazon

I think the kennels use Gusto mature light comes in 10KG bag think it is about £10 a bag. Gusto Mature Light

The links are just to show you the foods I have not used these sites to purchase the food so cannot comment on them.

It is quite common for the dogs motions to become looser if they go more than once. If ours go a third time it is very soft as if it has not been processed in the digestive system long enough in the bowel area to become more solid.

Hope that helps you a bit with Daisy and Toby .

Billy and Lassie who don;t mind talking about their toilet needs

George and Morag

Hi,

We feed Bootsie twice a day - he gets James Wellbeloved kibble (about a mug), a small Lily's Kitchen tub of wet food, and we mix it with water. Twice a week, he gets his mug of kibble together with a tin of sardines in tomato sauce and a small tin of chopped tomatoes - this keeps his black coat really shiny

We find that it is the treats, and not his main food, that makes his poos loose.

Totally agree with George & Morag ... the first poos of the day are generally the best - greyhounds do have sensitive digestive systems!

Hope this is of some help

Susan, Mo & Bootsie x

Since Dodson & Horrell started their "Retired Greyhound Mix" I have switched to that. My two love it and it definitely seems to result in more solid poos. I expect you can buy this food in pet shops but I order on the net directly from D&H. The service is excellent, delivery within 24-48 hours and if you order two bags or more the delivery is free. D&H give £1 to the Retired Greyhound Trust for every bag they sell which is another plus point.